3.4.4 - textures stuck in reloading cycle on OSX

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Newest update of the viewer - weird issue where textures keep reloading. I can sit in one spot with camera all the way down, and the textures around me load fully, then go blurry again, then load, and repeat - forever... Turning off/on http- no effect. Turning off/on texture compression,

no effect. Same with toggling windlight... Weird...

Second Life 3.4.4 (268864) Jan 9 2013 15:49:53 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50GHz (2500 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.2 Darwin 12.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.2.0: Sat Aug 25 00:48:52 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.18.24~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 6750M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.0.29

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 40201

Doesn't seem to fix, no matter what I do with settings.

Have deleted settings and cache folders, for a full reinstall - to no effect.

Anyone else seeing anything like this? With JIIRAs gone, where do we report things like this now?

I have the same problems with SL running latest beta release. Textures would unrez and re rez in crowded places. I tried disabling http textures and that stopped rezzing in and out. But then no longer would some textures rezz at all. I am going to try using OpenGL 3 texture compression to see if that helps.

I see other problems with the graphics, sometimes patches on the lower left part of the screen are corrupted. This seems to happen with every other release. Also it seems that some releases have the hover name and info bar on avatars and some releases do not. I run SL in 1920 x 1200 resolution.

I have a problem with clothing / skin / tattoo textures too.  Typically, if I put on a layer, 2 parts will rez OK, but the third will be blurred - but a different sort of 'blurred' with edges, that tells me the texture won't rez, even if I wait.  If I rebake, the same thing happens - with one part - e.g. head or lower body not rezzing properly.  Eventually if I try this half a dozen times I might be lucky and all 3 bits rez, but if I go somewhere busy then they go blurred again.

Viewer 3 worked well for me until this problem started to happen.

I sometimes have that problem (on Linux, not Mac, which I realize is the subject of the thread). For me, I can pretty reliably get a proper bake by removing tattoo layers, one at a time, until the bake succeeds, then adding them back. No idea if this is a reliable fix, but it's worked for me.

ETA: Oh, also, one recent weirdness with applying textures to objects from the build tool: they'll just never rez -- until I apply a bumpmap to the surface (I used "Brightness" or "Darkness"), causing them to immediately snap to full rez. I've noticed this with recent LL viewers (I'm running the beta, but I think I saw it in the released version, too).

I have just downloaded this 3.4 thinking it would run smoother than Firestorm (and it does) but I can't help notice that the textures are constantly reloading and becoming blurring at quite a frequent rate. Is there no way to address this with the developers. At least that was one thing I could count on with Firestorm.. 

Just a note - changing HTTP settings requires a relog.

While you're doing that, power-cycling your router wouldn't hurt either. [switch it off, wait 2 mins, switch it on again]

And while everything's all freshed-up, run a speedtest to Dallas http://softdallas.speedtest.net

Hit Preferred, not Recommended - it doesn't matter how fast your line is to near you, it's how fast it is to where SL is.

Multiply your resulting download speed by 800 to get your ideal bandwidth setting, BUT maximum 1500 whatever speed you get. For wi-fi connections, reduce that to 500.

It's based on the maximum 'guesstimated' figure that SL will actually feed you at, allowing for the auto-throttle to work correctly. Setting it much higher will break the auto-throttle, or so I'm fairly reliably informed.

If you use HTTP textures & inventory, this throttle is largely ignored for those, as are all streaming, media & voice services, which run 'outside' SL - but if that slider setting is eating all your available bandidth already, then those other services may struggle as a side-effect.

Lyla Barbosa wrote:

I have just downloaded this 3.4 thinking it would run smoother than Firestorm (and it does) but I can't help notice that the textures are constantly reloading and becoming blurring at quite a frequent rate. Is there no way to address this with the developers.

Yeah. And its not my avatar and attachments doing it - but the surrounding world. Actually gave me a headache today...

As for addressing it. Their new policy seems to be to cover their ears and eyes and then say "I can't hear you!!! I can't see you!!!" and report the world as fine. No Jira system, no idea how to get their attention on this.

Norton Burns wrote:

And while everything's all freshed-up, run a speedtest to Dallas

Hit Preferred, not Recommended - it doesn't matter how fast your line is to near you, it's how fast it is to where SL is.

Multiply your resulting download speed by 800 to get your ideal bandwidth setting, BUT maximum 1500 whatever speed you get. For wi-fi connections, reduce that to 500.

18.5Mbps down, 4.68Mbps up. About half my normal.

so multiplying by 800 would give 14800 Mbps down. But you say set to 1500 kbps ( 1.5Mbps)  instead?

Moni Duettmann wrote:

"BUT maximum 1500 whatever speed you get."

Why is that?

In various sources I have seen it mentioned that the maximum speed what SL servers feed data out is 1500 Kbps.  Therefore there is no advantage at all to set the viewer's bandwidth any higher that this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep forgetting why I don't use the sl viewer...just downloaded it tonight and removed firestorm....and having this same texture problem so i see it hasn't been fixed yet...have tried all the fixes mentioned here in the past...problem persists...it can drive you crazy after a while...but fps is better than fs. (running mac os 10.6.8). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but didn't find anything newer so apologies.

I'm having this issue as well but in my case though, it's Windows 7 and the latest viewer.  It has been doing it for a number of versions for me actually.  After upgrading to the latest, it's almost unbearable unless you stare at the ground :(

• 1 month later...

I have a nVidia card.

For what it's worth, since my post I discovered two things that might be related as playing around with these two specific settings has curred my issue.  WARNING: this is "use at your own risk" territory :)

• HTTP Textures -- For whatever reason, I've been having problems off and on with HTTP Textures.  Toggling or turning this setting off and on sometimes resolves the issue and almost always makes them load faster (which is odd given that HTTP Textures was supposed to make things faster).

• TextureMemory Debug Setting --  While playing around with some Debug Settings, I discovered that my TextureMemory setting was set extremely low.  Not sure how it got set that way but when I set it to "0" to auto-detect, it instantly jumped itself up to 512 MB.  Since changing it, I've not had the issue at all.

... however ... :) when I have my draw distance up particularly high and I'm up in the air for periods of time, I occassionally see the 
    "# Textures dropped due to insufficient memory" text on my screen and experience crashes afterward every now and again  Not sure if they are related, but I don't recall ever seeing that message before.

I also played with the "TextureDiscardLevel" debug setting, but couldn't tell if it had any impact.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here. Using Mountain Lion on an older iMac, but still it never happenend before the latest releases of the official SL viewer. Switched to Exodus and Firestorm, problem not solved. Switched to the newest Singularity viewer yesterday and it 's gone! Hallelujah.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.