20 fps with gtx 1080 and i7 4960X

Fessy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't believe that it is possible. I have bought gtx 1080 special for second life to see more fps than with my old gtx 690 and I still can't see the diference.
Tried different settings but when I use low settings there's 11 fps. When high - ultra it's 20 fps. Idk how that works. I tried different viewers like Alchemy, SL2, black dragon but it doesnt make sence.
That is happening only with SL. Gta online have >60 fps in 4k full setting.
What am I doing wrong?

First of all, SL is not a game like GTA or anything else, in numerous ways. The content is often poorly optimized, for one thing, unlike game content.

Second -- and I forget the details but others here can no doubt illuminate us, SL does not play well with Mac in any case, something to do with outdated Open GL. 

Fessy wrote:

Tried different settings but when I use low settings there's 11 fps. When high - ultra it's 20 fps. Idk how that works.

I'm not sure I understand this: are you saying you get higher fps on high graphics settings than on low??? That sounds really strange but if it's the case, it must mean the factor limiting your fps lies somewhere else in the chain, not in your graphics card.

Fessy wrote:

yeah. More fps on higher settings. FPS no limited in game

Ok, so your graphics card is innocent then. And so is your connection which of course would have been the next suspect.

So, the question now is: what can cause the computer to run slower the less work it has to do?

Some weird quirk with the graphics driver perhaps?

That's probably because of the 2 different renderers in SL. If you set Low graphics you are on the forward renderer. On High settings you enable the deferred renderer which utilizes more advanced OpenGL features on a modern card.

It's also no suprise that you don't notice a performance difference between the 690 and 1080. The 690 was strong enough already. The bottlenecks are somewhere else, before the data gets to the GPU.

The question is where/when you experience only 20 FPS? Is that always, even in empty regions? Or is that just at locations where there are a lot of avatars? It's very possible to slow down FPS to 20 or lower in crowded areas. Even with the beefiest hardware.

If you never get more than 20 FPS though, there is definitely something wrong with your setup.

arton Rotaru wrote:

It's very possible to slow down FPS to 20 or lower in crowded areas. Even with the beefiest hardware.

It can happen in empty sims too if they're seriously overloaded with items and - above all - textures. It's not as common as avatar overload but it does happen.

Fessy wrote:

fps from ctrl+shift+1 menu

I mean sims where about 50-60 peoples on small zone like 20x20m

That sounds like a seriously overloaded place, I don't think you can expect better performance than that even with the strongest gpu in the world.

To reduce your gpu load:

• Lower Avatar Maximum Complexity (100 000 may be low enough but in a crowd as dense as that you may have to go even lower)
  • Lower the draw distance
  • Reduce your RenderVolLODFactor to 1

If that isn't enough:

• Switch off Advanced Lighting Mode

I'm sorry about that but fact is, a place crowded with more than 50 modern high ARC avatars is simply at a completely different level of graphics workload than anything else you're ever likely to ask your computer to do.

• Like 1

Hmmm, with a Nvidia 770 I end at 20 fps at crowded places with Impostors at 16 and settings to ultra (plus a few tweaks in the settings). A 1080 can be considered as 4 times faster so 20 fps at a crowded place with 50-60 ppl looks absolutely normal. I'd say you get what you can expect.

The CPU only helps to a degree. Once it is fast enough, more speed will not increase the fps. 60 avatars will have a giant amount of textures and cause alot of updates sent to your viewer.

You can not compare that with a optimized game where a designer would have counted the textures and triangles of a scene and keep this values at sane levels.

Another question is how good a gpu scales on SL. Double performance = double fps or not?

First, get us the hard data to make some decisions about. Open the viewer and before or after login click HELP->ABOUT... and copy paste that info into your post. Options in the upper right has the post-edit feature.

Too get to a solution faster look at Firestorms tips for improving performance: 

The FS Support people find the biggest problem is people setting their Draw Distance way too high. At max draw distance even the hottest game machines drop FPS into the 10 to 20 range and lower.

Also, with lots of people in the area most machines will slow. Thus the new Avatar Complexity Limit setting in graphics preferences. Some avatars have rediculous render cost. When I am all decked out in mesh body and clothes I typically have an ACI <100k. But, in various places I see avatars with ACI >500k. The basic nude classic avatar has an ACI of about 1k... So, you may be having to render a scene with thousands of times more render cost than is reasonable and likely 10's of thousands time complex than GTA.

So Avatar Impostures is an important setting. No one should have that set to UNLIMITED. A high value like 300k is good, when performance is NOT an issue. Using unlimited puts you at risk to video crashers used by griefers.

Many people with a hot machine think it should run SL at top speed at max settings. But, GTA and other similar games' content is designed by professionals. SL content is designed by a majority that are novices and if they know anything about 3D model optimization it isn't much. So, perfoamance in SL is NOT comparable to other games becaue of who is designing the content.

Your machine is way more than adequite to run SL well at good FPS... >20. There are people getting 100FPS with 970 and 980 video cards and i3 and i5 CPU's. But, no one is running Sl at the FPS rates they see in GTA and similar games.

I suspect your biggest problem is your NVIDIA settings. See: NVIDIA Settings 2016

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Try using GPU-Z to see what your gpu stats are while using SL. Sometimes Windows does not recognize SL as a game and so continues to throttle the GPU unless you make a game profile and set to maximum power mode in the Nvidia Contol Panel. At worst you will see what your gpu usuage is etc. If you are using a 4k monitor I believe you don't even need AA enabled since aliasing is not noticeale at that resolution? And 4k would reduce fps compared to 1080P with the same settings.

• 4 months later...

What he says does happen on mine GTX 780. I beleive it has something to do with the Low Settings not enabling things that let the Video Card use it's hardware benefits compared to lower end cards. If you enable some of those grahics settings in the Preference Panel you will see it significantly rise. Kind of like having an 8 cylinder running on 2 cylinders. Still a powerful car underutilized.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.