recovering from bad vehicle crossings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

this is simple stuff, but I hear about this problem all the time and the frustration it causes, so here is how to deal with it and avoid some relogs.

even when vehicle crossings go wrong, things are now usually better than they used to be. instead of getting logged out, you might find yourself stranded without a vehicle, maybe after spinning through outer space for a minute.

when this happens you might find that your arrow stopped working, so you can't turn your avatar and it's hard to get out of there or find where your vehicle went.

first workaround, if you have nothing else: hold down the alt key, spin with arrow keys to the direction where you want to go, then let go and walk or fly straight ahead. this sucks, but it will get you around if you weren't prepared. if you can find a rez spot nearby, rez a new copy of the vehicke, get on, and your controls should go back to normal.

second workaround: rez a prim and give it a jazzy name like vehicle fix. add this tiny script to it, then take the prim to inventory for when you need it.

default {
    on_rez(integer param){
        if (llGetAttached()) llRequestPermissions(llGetOwner(), PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS|PERMISSION_ATTACH);
    }

run_time_permissions (integer perm) {
        if (perm & PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS) {
            llTakeControls(0x7fffffff, TRUE, TRUE);
            llReleaseControls();
        }
        if (perm & PERMISSION_ATTACH) llDetachFromAvatar();
    }
}

the next time you can't use your movement keys after a bad crossing, find this box in your inventory and add it to your avatar. it should get your keys working again, then detach itself.

This fits with my observations.

Firestorm has a menu option to stop animations and revoke permissions. That seems to work at least some of the time.

So does sitting on some objects. Again, not all the time. It may depend on how sits are scripted in a chair, or another vehicle. Usually it is arrow-key turning which fails, but you can control your motion with mouselook.

Sometimes, if you wait a really long time, the vehicle mysteriously reappears and control is restored.

I expect some people to dismiss these observations as the blatherings of a British fool. I am sure that a small village in Austria is currently short of an idiot.

The following, works for me with boats many times, and sometimes with my helicopter, too:

first, have your mini map showing objects, so you can check if your vehicle really crossed to the next region or, instead, if it was "eaten" during the process;

then, if you see your vehicle at the next region, on your mini map, double click the mini map on the next region and you'll be seated back on your vehicle — usually, it is recommended that you stop the vehicle after being sitted (always on an odd pose), stand and sit again.

Happy crossings. :matte-motes-wink:

Thanks for the tip :smileyhappy: , not sure I can use the minimap in the way you describe coz I`m on sl viewer atm.

I banged my head against that crossing for a while including using the kart in inventory library, some of the results were hillarious but 100% fail.

Anyway I added it to this jira https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7964#comment-458586

Not sure if I`m just being unlucky recently in the number of bad crossings or there are actually more of them, shrugs.

SaraCarena wrote:

Thanks for the tip :smileyhappy: , not sure I can use the minimap in the way you describe coz I`m on sl viewer atm.

I banged my head against that crossing for a while including using the kart in inventory library, some of the results were hillarious but 100% fail.

Anyway I added it to this jira

Not sure if I`m just being unlucky recently in the number of bad crossings or there are actually more of them, shrugs.

I've seen some regions get to a point that vehicle travel in and out of them is impossible - I took out a ticket on one and the support staffer said that it had gotten "out of sync" with its neighbors but it was fixable with region restarts - the fix possibly included coordinated restarts for multiple regions.

Unfortunately, what Theresa wrote is quite common. Even when sims seem to be healthy, they may have gone out of sync with their neighbours. Having a vehicle crashing on crossings, getting unseated and/or having it "eaten" (means it's never returned to us — it just vanishes) is something that after almost 3 years sailing and flying in SL I would consider "normal". :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Still, it all seems to be much better than ever before, since I started moving vehicles around. I can tell you that I did the last four Sunday LCC (Leeward Cruising Club) cruises without crashing... And believe me, it gets quite messy when you go out sailing together with 20 or 30 other boats (sometimes even more.) :matte-motes-wink:

not sure I can use the minimap in the way you describe coz I`m on sl viewer atm

You can do that on the world map, I believe. Anyway, I would recommend moving to Firestorm, if for no other reason, because it allows you having more screen space to see where you're going.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

..... had gotten "out of sync" with its neighbors but it was fixable with region restarts.....

Ahh, ok, thats something I`ve not heard of before. The regions either side of the crossing did look healthy from a casual look at the statistics bar.

I`ll shop around for an out of sync radar so I can do an emergency u-turn:smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.