extra lag?

Cully Andel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I've noticed horrendous lag all over. Not just me either, my bf's had it just as bad. We just constantly freeze when we try to do - well - anything.

He's in a different part of the country so different ISP's, he uses Firestorm, I use CoolViewer and we've not had it like this until yesterday/ today. Anyone else know what's going on?

Cully Andel wrote:

Today I've noticed horrendous lag all over. Not just me either, my bf's had it just as bad. We just constantly freeze when we try to do - well - anything.

He's in a different part of the country so different ISP's, he uses Firestorm, I use CoolViewer and we've not had it like this until yesterday/ today. Anyone else know what's going on?

sorry to say but i've had no troubles today.

did each of you run a ping test?

how many different places did you expeience this?

etc, etc, etc.

@Cully

Weekends are notorious for "lag" or just generally poor performance in SL.  It is most likely due to maintenance on the systems that route out of Linden Lab's server farms and their associated ISPs.

Today I noticed more poor performance than usual for a weekday, and sim pings were much as usual. Local (UK) ISP performance seemed normal from speed and ping tests, so I have to assume that there was some other factor at play.

Poorly performing were such things as slow-to-respond AOs and other scripted items.  Now since all the other metrics by which I judge system performance were nominal, I have to say that I think some aspect of SL was being worked on.  We are not always told when systems maintenance is being performed and this is especially true of the weekend, when The Lab has only a skeleton staff on duty.

@Perrie:

I did all normal checks and found nothing, so I have no idea what the issue was, but today especially there WAS an issue, and it was general through out over a dozen sims, both Mainland and private estate, full-regions and homesteads.

I noticed it too, then much later, early am in Europe, things suddenly got a lot better. I just picked up on this grid status posting too, for 3 December -

[Posted 7:17pm PST, 02 December 2012] At approximately 6:30 am PST tomorrow (3 December 2012) we will be performing some scheduled maintenance on three server racks.  Regions hosted on those racks will restart.  We will  attempt to minimize latency on restart times, but some affected regions may be down for longer than the usual restart cycle

I live on a homestead, there are just 2 of us that live there,,that being said i have no lag at all.

I use the phoenix non mesh viewer 1185, i find it rezzes things much faster and no lag

Whenever i have the need to use firestorm to upload to MP or any other reasons, i find it very laggy when i walk and things rez so much slower.

I have tried the mesh phoenix but it is a slow rezzer too..

I have 2 flags that wave in the breeze, with phoenix (1185) they flap normally, with firestorm they move in 2 second incruments, in other words it stops for 2 sec between each flap, thats how laggy i find firestorm.

Just my observations

Nikita

I suspect the "lag" referred to in the OP is not rendering lag, which is what you talk about here.  You are comparing a non-mesh system with a mesh-capable system.  The graphic load imposed on your client/system by the Mesh-capable Firestorm is much higher, hence the apparent lag.

There is little doubt that now that the majority of users have switched to http texture loading, the http advantage that was very obvious six months or a year ago has reversed and now udp loading, as used by 1185, is perceived to be the faster.

I have been told that a revision to the http texture loading process, being worked on at Linden Lab, will address this imbalance and texture-rendering speed will be restored to those using it.

Like many other V1 features, eventually udp loading will be turned off by The Lab, as they see V1 use decline.  That's what The Lab call progress.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.