What is up with the servers?

Kylie Jaxxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, actually, the past few days I too have been seeing massive texture and mesh delays. I was assuming it was just my network (or Canada more broadly, where the Internet comes by moose), but now that you mention it, the delays do seem to be limited to content that should be served by CDN.

Since most textures are delivered through a cloud-like system, it's likely to be affecting some people and not others.

I'm in the UK, and texture delivery has been good. Meshes, not good. On the other hand, sim crossing, which involve a lot of stuff on the Linden Lab network, rather than the wider internet, have been good.

Nobody needs your postal address. it might depend on youe ISP's location, but country or US State would be useful info. I don't recommend being more location-specific than that. 

No changes in my system but I have been having "your region is experiencing difficulty" logout which is very unusual for me. 

On mainland.   I haven't been having any texture rezzing issues but I have a hefty computer and a fast connection. It does seem to be taking longer for items pulled from inventory to appear.  This since the beginning of the week. I don't watch to see if my region got new codes; I just deal and assume it will work out eventually.

West Coast USA.

Just like Qie I thought it was my computer that was acting up but yes, everything load much, much slower now than usual. I live in Norway and my connection to USA is routed through UK but this seems to be a CDN issue and I have no idea where that server is located.

It seems clear that there is something wrong with the way the server information is being disseminated to the CDN.  This many issues is diagnostic of such a situation, and it is not the first time this has occurred.

It is very hard to understand, I am in the UK and am currently not seeing an issue, whereas my partner, also in the UK but on another network is seeing exactly what the other contributors are reporting.  I must therefore assume that we are using different CDN servers.

The lack of response to this by LL makes me think that it is only a part of the CDN that is at fault.  I guess unless a larger part of the SL community is affected and complains, they have insufficient reason to act. 

Mind you it may be Swan syndrome, serene on the surface but a heck of a lot of paddling going on just out of view!  :smileywink:

ETA at 11.45am SLT:  Well maybe the texture issue is hitting me after all.  They are certainly slower than last week and I've seen this on and off a few times lately.  So maybe LL needs to talk to its collaborators in the CDN.

Something that occurred to me:  while it seems true that the increased prim allocation on pretty much all servers now has not had a detrimental effect on most SL functions, I wonder...with increasing numbers of prims and meshes in sims...does this put more load on the Content Delivery Network due to all the new textures that are required?

Just a thought.... :smileysurprised:

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Something that occurred to me:  while it seems true that the increased prim allocation on pretty much all servers now has not had a detrimental effect on most SL functions, I wonder...with increasing numbers of prims and meshes in sims...does this put more load on the Content Delivery Network due to all the new textures that are required?

Just a thought.... :smileysurprised:

I havent added any more content than I usually do, and I am having long wait times for new mesh and textures to rez. Like, rez it, go get coffee, come back and there it is.

It's December, so it's pre-Christmas and Advent and some avs are teleporting around like mad. That has to add to the server demands.

A few years ago, LL did something with groups and the next Advent the group server borked. Because groups were soooooo slow (or impossible) to add, there were complaints in chat from those who were overdoing it with dropping and adding groups as they went along collecting their piles of goodies. It seems likely the two went together.

Maybe the changes they made to increase LI didn't take the madness that is December into account.

My problems with slow rezzing were worse at the weekend when traffic was higher, better during quiet parts of Monday. I'm in the UK.

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

My problems with slow rezzing were worse at the weekend when traffic was higher, better during quiet parts of Monday. I'm in the UK.

Maybe but as I write this, it's Tuesday, 3:13 AM SL time, 12:13 European time, so most American and European users are busy with other things than SL. Only 28,217 accounts logged on and the load lag is horrible. All stats show up as normal and once the scene has loaded, there isn't noticeably more lag than usual.

The asset servers' unexpected bi-monthly nervous breakdown is quite a bit overdue now. Maybe that has something to do with it.

(Edit: fixed a rather crucial typo.)

The total allowed for a Sim has increased, but I get a strong impression that many sims have less land occupied, So the increased LI allowance may not be loading many servers above the old maximum.

One of the things I saw was a low-occupancy sim with patchy appearance of land and linden-road textures, In some places the texture was loaded, in some it wasn't. So the texture clearly had been delivered, or was in my cache, but the data that put the texture in a particular place hasn't been. And there was no obvious pattern to the non-appearance. It wasn't obviously connected to distance or terrain altitude.

This seems way better to me today. I have no idea if restarting all the sims with yesterday's roll had anything to do with it, but this has always been frustratingly subjective anyway.

Or maybe "steps were taken" in response to this being mentioned at the Server User Group yesterday. (I missed it this week, but read about it in Inara Pey's report.)

One tangent I've been meaning to mention: I sometimes screw-up and leave my Draw Distance set way deeper than usual, and that causes symptoms pretty similar to these "slow to load" problems. So, I keep trying to remind myself whenever I see slow loading, before suspecting network, check the Draw Distance setting.

Qie Niangao wrote:

This seems way better to me today. I have no idea if restarting all the sims with yesterday's roll had anything to do with it, but this has always been frustratingly subjective anyway.

Regardless of the reason, it seems to be over now. :)

I've kept an eye on one specific object through this, a large (64x64*32 m) but low poly (24 tris) photo box right next to my landing point at my workshop. Last week or two it always took a minute or so for it to render, today's it's instantaneous.

(Edit: Come to think of it, that's on a Magnum sim and I noticed the chaneg before RC channel restarts.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

Or maybe "steps were taken" in response to this being mentioned at the Server User Group yesterday. (I missed it this week, but read about it in 
.)

Thank you! It's really interesting and quite nice to hear that LL can react to posts here in that way.

Qie Niangao wrote:

One tangent I've been meaning to mention: I sometimes screw-up and leave my Draw Distance set way deeper than usual, and that causes symptoms pretty similar to these "slow to load" problems.

That's quite interesting too. High draw distance shouldn't cause this kind of issues since they fixed the major bugs in Project Interesting.

I can only speak for myself but on my work platform I would have noticed increased draw distance instantly. There are other sky platform barely out of view around there. Besides, I switch between different preset graphics configurations several times a day and any accidental change in the settings would have been corrected the first time I did that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.