What happened to the sunset?

Gwyddion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not a techy person, but the last couple of days the sunset has been really bad, there used to be lots of scudding clouds that raced over the sky as the sun set, and now there is just the sun.

I guess this must be some sort of update, but it is not an improvement in my opinion, second life is famous for it's amazing sunset, so I think we should have the clouds back again. And yes, I have checked my graphic settings, nothing has changed, just the amazing sunset dissapeared. Please techy guys and girls, bring it back.

Maybe you're running a different Windlight setting. Are you familiar with Windlight?  Have you tried watching sunset in another sim? Your post doesn't make this clear.

Best suggestion is to take a snapshot and post this to the thread - sunsets in Second Life will vary depending on your computer capabilities and Windlight settings. There's no change to their behaviour that I'm aware of as far as viewer display goes, and changes to the server code would not affect this either.

TL;DR, Nothing has changed except the way you specifically are seeing the sunset - probability is Windlight settings, which is not the same as Graphics settings.

Source: SL Wiki - Windlight Settings

Thanks for the reply Freya, but I have not changed anything. However I will certainly look into that and see if I can improve what I am seeing.

To answer your questions, yes I have tried watching it in various sims and locations, and it's all the same, no clouds. I just use the normal default settings, and the sunset used to look like this..

But now there are no clouds, its just a ball of light in the sky and no clouds around it

That sounds like your Graphics settings are now in Basic mode. Try Ctrl + P > Graphics and report the top slider setting (or post another screenshot of the graphics tab). This setting can change automatically due to hardware or driver changes within your system, or upgrades to other processes.

Which viewer are you using? Can you paste the diagnostic information from Help > About?

You personally don't have to have changed anything - Windlight can change in a few ways (at the direction of the land/region owner for example). I'm not ascribing fault to anyone. :)

Thank you people, I have firestorm, which I have used for a couple of years, so that has not changed.

This is the graphics tab...

And this is what I have where the other screen shot you posted was, I don't seem to have the same 'advanced' menu

Gwyddion wrote:

... I have firestorm, ... I don't seem to have the same 'advanced' menu

Even in Firestorm you can have the Advanced menu if you want, from Avatar / Preferences / Advanced / "Show Advanced Menu (Use at own risk!)" -- never mind the arbitrariness of "Advanced" but not "Develop" warranting such a dire warning.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.