WHAT THE HECK HAS HAPPENED TO SL?

Roopert Huldschinsky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

WARNING! This thread may contain multiple rants!

I am a SL resident since almost 6 years. Ive gone trough hard times, you know them all...

The last year has been quiet, relatively stable and just some small bugs.

But what happened during the last 2-3 weeks really makes me wonder.

MASSIVE ISSUES!

Teleports failing every second time.

Login issues like back in 2007.

Attachments not rezzing.

Inventory not loading.

Scripts in rezzed objects showing error messages without reason.

Objects in inventory cant be created.

Acces to public places not possible.

Building not possible because objects snap back randomly after being moved.

Massive crashes.

All these issues together makes it almost impossible to work on my store, build new items or just enjoy sl.

No matter if i use firestorm or the official main viewer. Clearing cache or region restarts doesnt seem to help at all.

What the heck happened to SL?

Did someone threw a bomb in the server farms?

Did the coders of sl suddenly forgot all they know about programming?

No post from linden lags about some maintenance or code updates...

Is anyone out there who maybe knows what causes this mess?

logged in yesterday the first time after  long abstinence and was scared how sl changed. Nearly EVERY teleport is failing, constant logout then, to attach something(clothes, meshes, prims) is failing ( I have to log out and in to see the attachments then), i got logged out very often, my meshes look like some kind of mess. The inventory is loading slowly or stucks. So i thought maybe my pc isn't that good anymore and tried it on my boyfriends pc, which is a highend computer, but with the same results. I tried it with different viewers, same result. For me the game is not playable anymore, what a pitty. And good to hear that I'am not the only one with those problems.

Edith.: The connection/ Router is okay.

Greetings

Don't get me started.  When are you people going to realize that it will NEVER get better. When are you going to realize that your paying obnoxious prices for the most expensive game (yes I said GAME deal with it) in history.  I blame it on you the residents.  Stop giving them money you idiots.  I mean what is it you don't get huh? $295 a month for a Estate , $195 a  month for Mainland!!!! Have you checked hosting prices on the Internet.  You can get a whole server to yourself with root access for less money than that.  Your addicts, paying for your escape from RL in such denial is scares me. Stop bitching and go to an OpenSIM Grid.

Nimh20 Vandeverre wrote:

Don't get me started.  When are you people going to realize that it will NEVER get better. When are you going to realize that your paying obnoxious prices for the most expensive game (yes I said GAME deal with it) in history.  I blame it on you the residents.  Stop giving them money you idiots.  I mean what is it you don't get huh? $295 a month for a Estate , $195 a  month for Mainland!!!! Have you checked hosting prices on the Internet.  You can get a whole server to yourself with root access for less money than that.  Your addicts, paying for your escape from RL in such denial is scares me. Stop bitching and go to an OpenSIM Grid.

Well, if all I wanted to do is play with myself by myself, that's the perfect way to go.

Happy diddling to you.

Thank you for the hint with the bandwidth/ISP. I will investigate that.

My PC (not mac) runs actual high end games flawlessly AND sl seemed to be stable during the last year.

My bandwidth is around 16kbps which isnt very much, but should be enough for sl, but maybe its because i am too far away from the LL servers (in germany).

If i get any answers, ill post them here!

At about the time you started having problems a lot of people started having problems with SL communicating with the DNS servers their internet providers use, and it seemed to be worse in Europe. Many people were helped by using Google's free DNS servers. You should be able to search for how to do this - it's a common problem and solution.

16kbps? shocked.gif

Unless that is an typo, I'm not surprised. I did tests, using a router, which has an adjustable bandwidth limiter
and SL worked down to 5MBit/s without any problem, 3MBit/s had slight delays in loading the textures.
0.016MBit/s is completely unusable, I can't think of waiting an hour for a scenery to load.

By the way, I'm in Germany too and I have no problems, despite having sim ping times hovering between 190 to 280ms.
I do get sim crossing problems on a regular basis, but it is always the same border - until the rolling restarts are through,
which heals most of these. Thursday/Friday are usually the best times for long travels and Yavascript pod tours.

Thank goodness I thought I was going crazy.  4 years with SL and have never seen so many issues.  All that you list and then some.  Am on a watersim and it is impossible to sail or motorboat.  Overtwo weeks ago  sim crossings have become impossible for the watersims.  My sailboats and motorboats are equally effected in ways similar to the air ships.  So, in fact, is the avi when it flies and crosses a sim.  I am on the SL Viewer and have also Firestorm, problems persist regardless of viewers.  When approaching a sim, either by vehicle or flying, nothing rezzes.  The radar map shows black but the make shows a sim.  If you wait several seconds you may be lucky and see the sim rezz.  If so it shows on the radar map.  Cross at your own risk because even if you cross your boat or your avi gets thrown out of the area.  Today I tried again and once thrown out I was unable to tp to any sim, including my home.  I am now literally trapped on my island, paying high tier and unable to use the game.  And yes, I keep my draw distance low and have a great graphics card.  The experience in the past two weeks in SL has been so poor that it isn't worth logging on much any more.  Am a resident for 4 years, so am use to and welcome changes, but the sim crossing issue is very serious.  Hope Linden addresses it as a priority.  Are the Lindens listening?  The lack of communication to the residents, first acknowledging the issues and letting us know that they are being addressed would be better than not hearing anything and having a worse experience than the day before.  Even logging on has become an issue.  Anyone out there that can just let us know what is going on would be nice.  :)

I started back in 2004 and had only minor problems.  Been playing off and on since but I tried to get on today and can not rez anything.  Everything is grey.  Even my inventory takes ages and ages to load (13,000 items).  What has happened to the viewer that has slowed things down so much?   Seven months ago I had little problem in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.