Viewer Flashing and Flickering

Linda Sautereau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The only flashing/flickering I see is with distant water while flying. It's one of those old, known, problems that nobody bothers to fix.

If it's something else, all I can suggest is the obvious: check you have the latest graphics drivers. But most of the fixes seem devoted to Windows DX rather than OpenGL: that's where the money is.

Linda

If you were using the Windows 10 OS your issue would be relatively common, but using 8.1 is a bit less easy.  My best suggestions would be to ensure that you don't have any other programmes running at the same time as the viewer and perhaps ensure that the instal was a full correct (including the "hidden" folders) clean instal.

Ayesha, if this is the problem Wolf decsribes it is about NVIDIA Graphics Cards and as he says something LL has not bothered to fix which is shameful. A workaround is under the menu Develop, then Rendering then un-ticking Object-Object Occlusion.

Alnijad

The flickering of objects with alpha content is an Open GL issue and affects ALL GPUs when the ALM is activated. I do not think it is the issue that the OP is reporting.

You are right that LL has not fixed the flicker issue yet and I am beginning to think that the fix, which is certainly related to object-object occlusion is buried somewhere in the rendering code of Open GL and therefore by no means an "easy" fix.

A great many folk are reporting issues related to rendering time using Windows 10 processing and while I would hesitate to exonerate Win 8.1, I don't know enough to say it isn't at least partly to blame.

The tardiness of OpenGL fixes reflects the apparent increase in use of other codes in 3D rendering.  Like so many other aspects of SL, OpenGL is just not fashionable and fixes not profitable any more.  If other, wiser folk see this and tell me I'm talking nonsense then so be it...that was how I understood the OpenGL issue!

The Khronos Group has talken over development of OpenGL. A new round of competition between Microosft (DirectX) and OpenGL is starting. DirectX is very much a Microsoft thing. OpenGL is open and popular in lots of places; Windows, Linux, and Mac. So, don't count it out or think it is not advancing.

See: State-Of-The-Art Standards. OpenGL

===================

Linda, you didn't tell us which nVidia card you are using. The 6600, 8800, 9800 are said to be supported. So are the 200, 300, and 400 series NVIDIA cards. But, they are getting old.

I suggest you get GPU-Z to check the temperature of your video card. Hot cards have odd problems.

You might get an older driver from 6 or 8 months ago. The latest drivers are giving me GPU kernal crashes, black screens, and other problems with the Project Quick Graphics Viewer. It is hard to know if it the Project Viewer or the driver that is at fault and I haven't decided which.

Try removing and inserting the video card. Unplug and plug in your video cable at both ends. The connectors are sensitive to even the slightest corrosion as they are an alloy and low voltage. Moving them solves the problem. The oxidation on these connectors can be invisible to our eye and still enough to cause a problem.

Use the Viewer's HELP->ABOUT... to gather informaton about your computer and viewer. Include that when you ask a question like this.

Nalates,

I'm using Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M.  Interesting that you mention black screens.  I've experienced that randomly and with Netflix.  This is a fairly new HP Envy notebook, which I bought to use as my "desktop" at home, so I doubt that I can remove the graphics card...especially with my limited hardware abilities.

Is GPU-Z a program?  I'm totally in the dark about these things.  

Thanks for your help!

Linda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.