Very strange login lag

EligibleJam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently started experiencing severe chat lags.  When in-world, I sometimes I have to wait up to 7 minutes for a single character to appear on my chat box.  And the most strange thing is that even the login page shows lag.  There are times when I launch my viewer (Firestorm 4.4.2) and it takes me minutes (as long as 10 minutes sometimes) to type my user name.

The strange thing is that this behavior comes and goes, even when staying on the same sim.  After a while (20 minutes) it goes away, only to return a while later.

This seems to happen only to me, as others who are next to me seem to be able to type normally.

And this has started happening recently.  I have been playing with some configuration parameters (max bandwidth, size of cache, and others) so maybe this has something to do.  But this wouldn't explain why even the LOGIN page shows lag.

When I'm inworld and check my lag meter, all indicators are Green, even when my chat lag is at its worst.  My FPS are about 45-48.

I use a wireless connection.  I know, it's suboptimal.  But I've been using it for months, and only recently SL started to give me this problem.

Any ideas as to what could be going on?  Or at least what parameters I should be checking?

Thanks a lot!

Do you use a wireless keyboard, by any chance? Interference in the radio frequencies required can cause delay such as this. Also, replace batteries.

It's not too likely to be your wireless connection (if it was, you'd be getting logged out), but try using a wire to your router just for comparisons sake.

The thing that catches my eye is that it affects you even without 3D rendering or heavy network draw (at the login screen) - this means it's unlikely to be an issue with Second Life, but more likely to be an intermittent issue with your PC.

Please report: operating system + service pack status, graphics card, processor, motherboard and keyboard part numbers, and whether you require the use of any 'ease of use' or 'accessibility' settings that might affect mouse or keyboard input.

Hi Freya:

That is also what puzzles me.  What could be going on that chokes my login prompt?  Here are the specs you asked for:

• Graphics Card:  Intel HD Graphics 2000 (9.17.10.3223)
  • Processor:  Intel Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz
  • Motherboard part number:  Can't get the actual model and part number, but I had a Dell Inspiron 620, if that helps.
  • Keyboard:  Logitech Wireless K520
  • Accessibility Settings:  None

Oh, and I recently changed my bandwidth settings from 1,500 kbps to 500 kpbs and things seem to be much more stable.  But again, not sure if that explains the problems on the login screen.

Thanks!

I did a fresh reinstall of my Firestorm viewer, and things looked good for about a couple of hours, but just started experiencing the problem again.  I'm at the login screen, unable to type in my user name.  And can't switch windows in my desktop using Alt-Tab.  I have to click on another application to switch views.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to close the loop on this one.  As it turns out, my wireless keyboard was the culprit.  As soon as I switched to a corded keyboard, all my problems disappeared.  This was strange, as no other application installed in my desktop suffered from any problems.  But there you have it.  Thanks everyone who helped.

EligibleJam wrote:

Just wanted to close the loop on this one.  As it turns out, my wireless keyboard was the culprit.  As soon as I switched to a corded keyboard, all my problems disappeared.  This was strange, as no other application installed in my desktop suffered from any problems.  But there you have it.  Thanks everyone who helped.

Thanks for getting back with us on this.

I had a mouse once that I constantly crashed when I clicked on a HUD.

Was the craziest thing.

Just the one mouse did it.  Other mice were fine.

All I could figure was some odd ball driver conflict.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.