Unique Problem - New Internet Connection, SL suddenly problematic

Bodie Neutron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok. In a nutshell, here is my question - it is not why is everything gray, but what caused things to suddenly stop rendering properly? Here are the facts: 

One day, I'm on Second Life for the billionth time - everything is perfect.

We "upgrade" our internet - new modem/router, this internet is supposed to be faster. The internet is down for 15 minutes while the new things are installed by a worker.

I get back on second life - suddenly, things load in much slower - skins do not load at all. I see people's hair. Their boots. sometimes part of a dress, but never their skin. Other textures like buildings and sculpties load extremely slow. It has been a couple of months now...same story.

If you care to read below this I can conclusively prove that this problem has nothing to do with my computer, or my bandwidth, but rather something to do with how my new internet is set up - I want to know what exactly is causing this. You have my eternal thanks if you can come up with the answer.

------------------

I swear that I have tried every solution under the sun on my side, from tweaking my bandwidth usage, to enabling/disabling http image to using different viewers, cache, graphics settings, updating my video cards, EVERYTHING. Here is how I know it is the internet change -

I can take my computers to a different location and use a different connection and Second Life works perfectly. It works fine on my cruddy little laptop, and it works fine on my liquid cooled super-expensive computer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what could it possibly be about this new internet connection that causes second life to not render properly?

(and yes I have done multiple upload/download/speed tests, and my connection speed is plenty fast - faster than the one where SL actually worked)

On my main computer, I run crossfire 2gb video cards and I overclock at over 4 ghz, with 16 gb of RAM - my computer can give me truly amazing graphics on high end games, yet on this specific internet connection, SL and only SL gives me a problem.

-----------------------

I want to call the internet company and demand justice - but where would I even start? They probably would laugh at me, not even knowing what SL is. This is why I need to know precisely what might be causing this problem. Even an inkling, so I can target and resolve this issue, get the right connection and once again be in my wonderful second world again.

Anyone at all have any ideas? I have searched the internet to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

possible issues:
new modem/router is flaky on sustained connections (could be added noise depending on connection type or they've changed it to wireless o.O)
old NIC card can't handle the increase in bandwidth (unlikely, it'd have to have beeen flaky before)
Plant settings for that bandwidth package are filtered differently (unlikely, but vaguely possible)

I'll hope you didn't let them install any software on your actual computer along with the new modem/router.... that stuff is universally flaky, and completely unnecessary.

I would say the router. If you still have the old one, swap them over to see if it is that.

I have seen people get improvements just by switching the cable to a different router socket, so they are perfectly capable of causing all sorts of weirdness.

If your old router runs SL with no problems, the new one could be defective in some way or just not a good model.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.