Unable to stay logged into the Grid

TayTay Denimore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After connecting to the grid at my home location (or any location) I lose internet connection within 30 seconds - if I am able to reconnect to the internet then SL will QUIT within two minutes.  This has been going on for over two weeks.  On the rare occassion - I stay connected but often takes dozens of attempts.  

I have tried connecting via SL3.0 viewer, Phoenix Firestorm, Imprudence, and Singularity

Using :  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74), Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

How can I fix this?

If it's crashing that quickly, there's a serious possibility that your computer is overheating.  It's telling you that you will damage something permanently if you contiunue.  Open your desktop's case (with the power unplugged) and clean all the dust bunnies and cat hair out with a car of air.  Check to be sure that all fans rotate smooothly.  If you don't have enough fans (I have four in mine), invest in another.  They are cheap insurance.  You can also find free software on the Internet that will sense your computer's temperature and speed the fans up if things start to get too hot.

If you're on a laptop, don't try to clean it yourself unless you really know what you are doing.  Take it to a professional instead.  Then get yourself a stand that will lift the machine off the working surface (not your lap!) so it gets good air flow underneath.

Thanks for the info regarding heating up.. however it's more like a disconnect than a crash.  I do use a laptop but with a cooling pad.  The laptop is only 6 months old.

Not sure but if someone out there thinks that this is a LION NVIDIA driver  issue for the Intel HD Graphics 3000  please help me - I'm WAY out of my element now.  Thank you.

Yeah, but InWorldz and most on-line games don't demand the same continuous data stream that SL does.  SL has to swap data between your viewer and its servers all the time.  If it gets interrupted for as much as a second, you can be dumped out.  That's one of the big reasons why we usually recommend against using wireless for SL, and why a flaky router can mess up SL but not InWorldz, WoW, or other programs.

But it's a logout?  You actually get a log out message?  I thought you said you disconnected.

Yes actually get "you have been logged out of SL"  your region may be experiencing difficulity or check your network connections.

The thing is my partner logs onto the region and does not have the problem.. so I don't think it's the sim. 

Also last time I tried direct connect via ethernet cable I had the same issue.  The mystery continues.

Well, that's different.  Forget everything I said about overheating (at least in this context).  If you are actually getting logged out, it usually for one of four reasons:

• The region you are in is going down;
  • During teleport, the SL servers may fail to hand you over to your destination and so log you out;
  • Your network connection has gone down;
  • Your network connection has become poor or unreliable and SL has lost contact with your avatar.

You've ruled out #1, and you didn't indicate that your problem involved teleporting, so #2 is out too.  I have had my ISP go off line, but that dumps a lot of other things too and it's pretty obvious.  My bet is on #4, and my favorite culprit is generally the router.  Have you tried bypassing the router altogether?  Plug your computer's cable directly into the modem and see if you still have a problem.  If not, then either your router has a heating problem, or needs a firmware upgrade, or needs to be replaced.

InWorldz is an OpenSim-based shared world. Smaller than SL, but using the same basic tech. So it shouldn't be lumped in with the other MMORPGs.

It may help to reduce the bandwidth setting in the Viewer, but since you're using a laptop I suppose you might be using Wi-Fi. If you are, your connection could be getting strangled by the effects of users on the same channel as you.

Some wi-fi software only needs the channel to be set on the wi-fi router, other stuff can need an adjustment on the computer as well. I recommend setting this up over an ethernet connection to the router, rather than adjusting wi-fi settings over the wi-fi link.

Thank you for responding - it is helping immensly.  

1. I will try everything connected to ethernet direct connect again today.

2. If I can stay logged in log enough I'll change the bandwidth as well... any recommendations?  

3. The disconnect from the internet happens almost immediately.  Then I "think" I'm reconnecting to the internet but must be only partially connected as I can only turn my avi - do a few other things - after a couple of mins SL logs me out.  I'll delete SL and reinstall from scratch although I'm not sure on this MAC if I actually delete all old files.  Any MAC users out there who can clue me in?

So still working on this -

Ok.. I know ya'll are waiting for the results of the troubleshooting over here (LOL):

1.  uninstalled and deleted all viewer, all SL files - everything

2.  cleaned up MAC - deleted all junk files

3.  downloaded SL Viewer 3

4.  connected to internet via cable (not wireless)

5.  Connected to SL - yay

6.  Stayed connected for about 10 minutes

7.  PROBLEM is loaded about 753 items of inventory then stuck there, tried to load avi via appearance then got logged off

wow - i have a lot o money invested in SL...might have to give it up :(

Before you give up on SL there are some other things in preferences you can adjust to try to make your SL run better and stay connected longer:

1. Bandwidth: this control is in different places depending on the viewer you use but I suggest you set it to no more than 80% of the "measured" bandwidth for your internet connection. Don't rely on the advertised bandwidth from your ISP. The old Phoenix wiki suggested no higher than 1500kbps (1.5MB/sec) but that dates from when most ISPs were DSL and the fastest was usually 1.5MB/sec and may be too low if you have a faster internet connection.

2. Draw distance: this is in the graphics section of preferences (advanced). Try turning down your draw distance. Many times people I help with lag or disconnect problems have their draw distance set at or above 256m. High graphics settings should default to 128m and medium graphics defaults to 96m. Remember regions are only 256m wide so why make your computer try to draw things you can't see every time you take a step or turn? Especially if you don't have a really good graphics/video card.

For the inventory problem you may want to dump cache and let it reload, there is likely an item in it that is corrupting your load and causing it to freeze up.  Basically, these inventory problems and the log out problem you were encountering are not the fault of your computer or of your Isp.  They began a couple of weeks ago after a restart and have steadily gotten worse, and likely stem from some problems inherent in sl scripting language, its timing and its relation to the database. In short for some reason the sl server times out and does not send the needed commands to your computer which either logs you out or stops your inventory from loading.

Those who mouth the LL propaganda line that it is all your isp and computer are simply feeding you disinformation to cover the mess LL had made of sl over the last three years with it failed attempts to make sl scripting do things it is not designed to do.

That's odd, I haven't experienced any of this over the last couple weeks; my inventory loads fairly quickly depending on the region I log in to and I rarely crash, although I do crash occasionally but I really push my viewer and computer hard in SL. In fact there are dozens of settings in the preferences of the viewer any one of which could cause the viewer or your computer to perform less efficiently than you want it to; different hardware responds differently to the settings. Likewise there can be ISP issues (packet loss or bandwidth throttling) and computer issues (insufficient GPU or CPU or RAM) that can cause SL to be less than enjoyable.

• 1 year later...

YAY~~!!!  Lydia, you may have just hit the nail on the head for my problem!
As one who has a mumeration of avatars, (6.5 - the 0.5 is because I maintain my husband's avatar), all but the one I'm logged in as now are working just fine.  
This particular one (my representative of my real life art, incidentally), is the one that has been crashing.  I've been getting plenty of research time, as a result, actually... trying out different viewers, one that isn't even tested on a MAC very well, to see if there's a conflict between what that avi is wearing and the viewer (I've had that problem before).  So there is a bright side to my getting behind schedule, at least.  (~~~~~eeehhhhh~~~~~~)
Same story...
*Maybe* succeed to log in, but crash in a minute.
Inventory not loading.
The inadequately tested on MAC (Dolphin) has had the most success, but I'm stuck in all senses of the word.
Incidentally, being a button pusher, I tried other avatars on the viewers that I was trying to see if that would be a solution, and they worked just fine.
So... dumping cache.
I usually avoid that because it takes so freaking long to reload in the best of times.
But, heck, it's worth a try.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.