Unable to connect to simulator? Can't login!

Airway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden Lab does today so called "rolling restarts" for maintenance and server updates. They usually do this tuesday for main channel server and wednesday for rc channel server. Its most likely that you tried to login at a region which just were down for this supposes. You can read here about and see the schedules there

http://status.secondlifegrid.net

Before logging you can change the start location to another region. My home region was restarted today yet, its called Eternal Enslavement, you can try there or any other, you just have to type a name into the field for the start location.

@Airway

The message tells you that the sim you are trying to connect to is offline, probably being rolled to a new server version.  Today is the day when all RC (Release Candidate) channels (ie groups of simulators) are updated.

It is likely that the one you are trying to log into is such a sim.  You can check which channel it is by going to "Help" > About, from the top toolbar.

The status of the Grid is given at: http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

That should tell you when the various channels are being updated.

Really hate to bust your bubble guys, but a restart is only one of the reasons for that message, and I get it regularly even when I know the sim i am logging into is active and has people in it.  Generally what this message seems to mean is that for some reason, likely that the core server did not send a key command or the proper information, the regional server is unable to complete the log in process. If this continues try another server and if it still continues first dump your cache and try again, and if that fails either reload your viewer or try another viewer for your viewer is likely corrupt.

The truth is SL is having a very serious problem with logins both with this bug, crashes during logins, that lead to a region is still signing out your avatar message, and with inventories being corrupted during logins or as the result of crashes prior to logins.  As a result online numbers have fallen even more dramatically over the last week and will continue to fall until LL addresses this issue and fixes it.  Sadly, making excuses for why logins are failing or denying that the problem exists does not improve things and only makes them worse as can again be seen by the seriously reduced online numbers. 

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.