To Roll or not to Roll - that is the question....

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Never mind the state of Denmark, is there or is there not to be a Roll on Main Server this week? 

Google calendar, he say yes,

Server Thread, he say nuttin'.

OK, LL, what gives? :smileysurprised:

Y' see, my sim HAS been rolled and is now on 15.10.14.3305984, yet if I chase the server version link in my viewer, I discover that the release notes are a month out of date! So essentially I have NO idea what the server software running actually IS! :smileyfrustrated:

We actually were informed yesterday that there would be a roll this morning, on the grid status page. It doesn't seem too great a leap of faith that they rolled what was on all the RC channels this week, which corresponds to the build number shown in "About Second Life", so I don't think that's much of a mystery. And we can find the release notes (such as they are) from any of those RCs, such as the one for Magnum last week.

It seems clear, however, that the current update notification process is too complicated: it's only rarely completed in every particular. The lack of a thread and main channel release notes is the problem this week, but there's often something not quite completely correct. It seems to me that there are just too many points of failure here, pretty much insuring that something will go wrong pretty much every week.

There must be a way to streamline this process while still making all the information available to all the same interested parties.

Qie,

My main beef was that although the first announcement was made about the roll, by the time I looked, earlier Tuesday UK time the start announcement had apparently been made and that must have caused the original post and the update to vanish from the blog, 'cos even those who'd seen it got Error 404 if they'd bookmarked it and used the link again.

The announcement subsequently returned once the Roll was complete.  Coupled with the delay of posting the Server Rolls details in the Server Thread, I had NO IDEA what was going on, despite being able to guess.

Also at the time, the Release notes pointed to a Server Version not (apparently) scheduled until next week (?).

All in all a bit of a SNAFU, really.  You might be able work out what was going on, but at the time I could not.

In the end it's all done and no animals were harmed in the making of the roll so all's good. :smileytongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.