Sim FPS Lag And Pathfinding

Alexandrea Fride

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, 

I am creating a bus route using Pathfinding Already got half way in making it it now issue i am havin is

Whenever i rez the so called bus that has the character for pathfinding in it sim would drop down to 40FPS+- Continue

if the bus stops (on ceretan bus stops it calls llDeleteCharacter()) sim go back to 45fps when it moves again drop back to 40fps

Now at first i thought this is cause of Pathfinding BUT when i rez the bus or bus cross sims over to next door sim that sim is FINE and has its max of 45fps and no issues whatsoever 

I have try'd restarting the sim it had no luck, checked sim for other characters there is non

Anyone knows this issue?

Alexandrea Fride wrote:

Hi, 

I am creating a bus route using Pathfinding Already got half way in making it it now issue i am havin is

Whenever i rez the so called bus that has the character for pathfinding in it sim would drop down to 40FPS+- Continue

if the bus stops (on ceretan bus stops it calls llDeleteCharacter()) sim go back to 45fps when it moves again drop back to 40fps

Now at first i thought this is cause of Pathfinding BUT when i rez the bus or bus cross sims over to next door sim that sim is FINE and has its max of 45fps and no issues whatsoever 

I have try'd restarting the sim it had no luck, checked sim for other characters there is non

Anyone knows this issue?

When the sim calculates a pathfinding character it has to assume that any objects in the sim may be movable unless it's told otherwise. If you have a lot of objects that means a lot of calculating because it has to check every object's position every frame.

However, you can edit your region in the "Pathfinding" - "Linksets" menu and tell it that certain objects aren't movable so they won't have to be calculated. That will reduce the load considerably and should bring your framerate back up.

The isue is i have just set walkable object the road

simbad = road walkable leave evryting else

http://sltrack.me/pathbad_001.png

simgood = road walkable leave evryting else

http://sltrack.me/pathgood_001.png

When i select stuff around it it whos me on buildings etc Pathfinding Attributes 'none' 

and on road Affects navmmesh

I can understand that if you set allot of stuff to movable,static etc 

i can't just go and set 3.500 objects to someting ?

i am new to pathfinding but i asumed if an object has Pathfinding Attributes 'none'  it would just not calculate that and ignores it?

and why would it affect the one sim but not the other doing exaclty the same thing

Alexandrea Fride wrote:

The isue is i have just set walkable object the road

simbad = road walkable leave evryting else

simgood = road walkable leave evryting else

When i select stuff around it it whos me on buildings etc Pathfinding Attributes 'none' 

and on road Affects navmmesh

I can understand that if you set allot of stuff to movable,static etc 

i can't just go and set 3.500 objects to someting ?

i am new to pathfinding but i asumed if an object has 
Pathfinding
Attributes 
'none'  it would just not calculate that and ignores it?

and why would it affect the one sim but not the other doing exaclty the same thing

Since Pathfinding came in after most of the "world" was built, it has to compensate for things that came before and make assumptions about them. Since some things in the world MIGHT move and the system doesn't know if any given old thing moves or not, it has to assume that they ALL could move.  So if a non-phantom object doesn't have Pathfinding Attributes specifically assigned that means it's considered a "movable object." You can see that many objects in the listing are currently considered movable objects even though you didn't consciously set them that way.

Of course, the vast majority of things WON'T move but the Pathfinding system has know way of knowing that until you tell it. You can select large numbers of objects in the list at once and assign them all as "Static obstacles." The only things you should keep as "movable" are things with swinging doors, etc.

Ok after some tinkering and searching i found a perfect solution cause i changed first all objects to static that was no good i broke scripted objects lol so reverted it then i found this just now

since i have region em i did this

update-pathfinding-objects region unscripted obstacle

that seemed to worked perfect all sims has 44/45fps now 

I am glad you got a fix.

Remember:

Only scripted items complicate the NavPath. Prims are considered static by default. So, you only need to worry about setting those with scripts to something other than the default. Vending machines are a common scripted but non-moving object that needs to be declared.

Also, Pathfinding (PF) runs ONLY in the region's spare time. If there is no spare time, PF is very suggish. PF should not pull down a region. When PF was being implemented I was talking with the Lindens about this problem and following the tests. I could not find any case where PF killed the region performance. the NavMesh calc is an exception, but that is transient and brief.

When objects are rez'ed or moved in the region the PF status goes dirty. That shouldn't drop server FPS. But, when the NavMesh recalc's, expect the physics engine to pull the Server FPS down. But, that should be a very temporary thing, something less than 5 minutes.

I haven't been playing with PF lately. But, my last experiences with it were that it was awkward for buses, trains, or cars. Keyframing is used more often for those tasks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.