Server Lag

xJennifer29x

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everywhere i go lately i seem to lag or not load, it's extremely bad, i thought it was my viewer i am on firestorm 32bit, so i went back to 64 bit, still having the same issues. I than installed singularity, and the same issues with singularity. So nothing on my computer is running in the background or updating/installing. Therefore the lag can only be on the server side. I don't load, i can't walk, i hit the forward arrow and it takes like a year just to move a step. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a current known issue? and would it be possible for someone to look into this? I can't enjoy my SL experience when i can't even move.

These days there are so many different servers involved that a "server lag" label is almost useless, but there are a few things you should check and try that are at your end and semi-independent of the viewer.

1: When was the last time you rebooted you modem (or equivalent hardware). It's a bit of a catch-all, but it is worth a try. SL puts a slightly unusual sort of load on the internet connection. and some commonplace hardware needs a reboot from time to time.

2: What are your graphics settings (found in Preferences (Ctrl-P))? Even with a 32m Draw Distance, the highest visual quality puts a heavy load on your computer, and a long draw distance, useful for some situations, needs to be used with caution.

I have seen some problems with 64-bit Firestorm, and I am not sure it is all that big a benefit. A better check may be to use the Cool VL Viewer, it certainly doesn't put as heavy a load on my computer. Why is it so different in performance? I don't know.

After all these years, you would think I would be used to the corporate staff management software that both Second Life and Firestorm use for customers to submit bug reports, but those are the breaks. I see patterns that the developers don't. Maybe I am just at the wrong end to the Trans-Atlantic wet string. Some of the numbers I see claimed as necessary for good performance of virtual worlds imply faster-than-light communications.

Hello Jennifer :)

Your Max # of non-impostor avatars is set to 65.  Lower it to 15.  This will greatly help in more crowded places.  At 65 your graphics card is working hard to fully render everybody.  I increase the number only when I'm taking a picture of a crowd, otherwise it stays below 20 or 15. 

Also, I would lower the LOD for objects and sculpts from 4 to 2, and never above 2. My own is on 1.125   With that number at 4, your computer is rendering many mesh objects within your draw distance at their High and Medium Level of Detail.

I hope this helps a little.

• 2 months later...

I have found that lag is a very complicated these days in SL, much more then before. Part of the problem is all the new mesh stuff. Not nesessarily the avatars, but I have found that the new mesh landscaping is alot more of a graphics memory hog then the old prim ones. Plus so many folks wearing 100s of sc ripts, and yes i mean 100s.

Put it this way ma'am, I have been on SL 8 years next February, and only in the last few months have I started derendering people and things that lagged me out. It also could be cramming sims to the max with prims. Personally, I simply think present SL is not equped to handle the new mesh stuff as well as the servers could. I thought Linden Labs was gonna make a brand new Sl for all the mesh folks and debut it last December?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.