STOP UPDATING THE SERVERS EVERY WEEK YOUR BREAKING SL

Francheska12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

IM NOT THE ONLY ONE EXPIERENCE THE PROBLEMS CONSSISTANTLY WITH SL SERVERS WITH INVENTORY ISSUES, GROUPS NOT LOADING AND TIMING OUT, AVATAR ISNT LOADING, AND WORLD KEEP CRASHING, LINDEN LABS YALL NEED TO STOP UPDATING UR GOD DARN SERVERS EVERY COUPLE WEEK EVERYTIME YALL COME OUT WITH A NEW UPDATED VIEWER YOU DONT GIVE NO ONE A CHANCE TO ENJOY THE NEW SETTINGS BEFROE YALL GO AND UPDATE THE **bleep** AND BREAK IT EVERYONE ON MY LIST IS COMPLAINING NOW OF HOW YOU BROKE THE NEW VEIWER, YALL NEED ONLY TO UPDATE EVERY 6 MONTHS OR EVRY YEAR, YALL UPDATING TOO MUCH, FIX THE BUGS WE ARE HAVING NOW BECAUSE OF YALL BREAKING IT. ITS RIDICULOUS. THAT I HAVE TO HAVE THESE ISSUES FOR THE PASSED 3 DAYS NOW WHERE I HAVE TO RELOG 50 TIMES BEFORE SL IS ANY WHERE TO A DECENT WORKING POINT, CLEARING CAHCE NO WORK, AND WE ALL STILL ARE EXPIERENCING THE SAME ISSUE. SL WAS WORKING FINE A WEEK AGO TILL U GUYS DID UN-SCHEDULED MAINTANCE ON SL GRIDS AND THEN **bleep**ED THE WHOLE **bleep** UP. THE SAYING GOES IF ITS NOT BROKE DO NOT FREAKING FIX IT. 

Wow

I never thought I'd say this, but you are complaining about weekly server updates when those are precisely what keeps SL going.

No one would disagree with you that LL don't get things right as often as they should...but, given that the code that the servers run on has an inherent memory leak, if relatively busy sims DO NOT get weekly updates or restarts, they become unresponsive lag-traps.

The chaos that would result in restarts only occurring once or twice a year doesn't bear thinking about.

Whirly gives one possible cause of your woes, but from what you say I'd hazard a guess that your ISP is throttling your connection, or your router needs more regular reboots (a minimum of once a week is simply good housekeeping).

I just hope that, having had a good rant, you calm down enough to deal sensibly with the issue. Shouting here is unlikely to get you anywhere except ER or a cardiac ward. :smileywink:

I suggest that you look into Opensim where you can run your own viewer, make as few or as many changes as you want and take responsibility for your world.

Only partly tounge and cheek.

There WERE times when the grid closed for a day each week so that the server could be updated. Most of us are very happy that things keep improving with little or no downtime.

Suggest that if you know someone with a GOOD connection and a GOOD computer that you have them come to your sim and see if things are as bad for them. If so, then send in a ticket asking for a restart. If not, then it's you BABE *wink*.  

And see what happens when you use both lower and upper case letters? You can actually emphasize what you want to.

I hope you solve your problem.  And while the devs actually do look at THIS forum now and then I don't think they are going to take you too seriously with the post you made. If you turn in a ticket be sure and mention EXACTLY what is going wrong and include all your computer info also.

Back when I first joined, I remember the whole grid going offline for the whole day to do updates, sometimes it took more than a day. :v

As for updating once every 6 months or even a year, lolno. At that rate mesh might not have been out by now, there'd be several well known vulnerabilities, and broken stuff left and right.

Development and programming isn't as easy as "we say this happens so it happens!", it's quite complicated and compile times can be very long. Just be thankful LL still keeps working on and maintaining SL, instead of stopping development entirely to go work on Sansar.

Viewers and connections acting up are in most cases on the end of the user.

Reset your modem, router and computer and give that enough time. 

Check your internet speed in general. http://www.speedtest.net/

Check your computer for virus and malware.

Check your viewer settings, especially the maximum bandwidth.

Maybe try another viewer. 

To make you feel a bit better, SL used to be much worse when it comes to crashes, updates etc..

VanillaSunsets wrote:

My experiece on the forum is that the "caps lock cruise control" takes you straight away to the " we either rant, laugh or ignore you department" of the forums.:matte-motes-delicious: Loads of fun there!

THAT'S PRETTY MUCH TRUE OF ANY FORUM THAT I HAVE EVAR BEEN ON!  ;)

This raises a good point, but we may need to be careful about terminology.  The experts here can correct me but, I beleive that:

- the 'weekly roll' is a server deploy of updated code.   IMHO such deploys should be far less frequent, 3 or 4 times a year max.   It is not humanly possibly to adequately regression test the code with a weekly release schedule.

- of course it also includes a 'restart'.   restarts should actually be more frequent, at least in high activity areas, if not daily then every second day.

So Id suggest daily restarts and quarterly deploys.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.