Offline IMs keep being turned off

Nue Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nue

I have had this issue, twice now, following the recent upgrade to Firestorm (my client of choice).  Since the code that covers this function is that provided by LL to the TPV developers, it is no different to the default LL viewer.

I must assume, since it is not changing on the LL website that it is something that has occurred with the latest viewer code at the Linden Lab end.  I have had no success in finding out WHY it happens, to date.

If you are having this occur on the LL website rather than in viewer prederences, it MUST be a Linden Lab issue.

I was effectively debarred from posting to LL fora for a couple of weeks earlier this year (my posts simply vanished without any error messages) and that was fixed, following  a lot of largely fruitless discussion with LL Support, with no explanation as to why it happened.  LL do not seem big on explanations of their failures when they occur.

I'm seeing this using the "Account" link on the LL web-site.  That doesn'r necessarily mean that it's not the viewer that's causing it - I haven't been able to determine exactly when it gets toggled off, so I can't conclusively say whether or not I was logged in at the time it flipped. but I think it's happening when I'm not logged in.

Yes, that looks like a Linden Lab issue then.  Much the same as my temporary exclusion from the Forum-posting ability then. 

But then...why, and more importantly, HOW?

I don't have any answers for the HOW, and Linden Lab are not hurrying to say why, either.

I can only idly assume that someone at Battery Street with admin privileges has wandering finger syndrome!

Cerise explained over on SLU one cause of this problem.

From Cerise:

This is coming from a feature adopted by more and more web browsers, the habit of speculatively preloading web pages.

Offline IM emails have a line at the bottom that looks something like

Code:
To stop receiving these emails, login to https://secondlife.com/my/account/contact.phpand uncheck "I would like to receive offline IMs via Email" or visit:https://secondlife.com/my/account/im_off.php?k=lotsa-l33t-crap-here

That last link, even if preloaded, will go ahead and turn off your offline IMs, if you happened to be logged in on the SL web site (and the l33t crap needs to be valid, I believe). I think they have it in JIRA to change this so it asks for confirmation, but at the moment it's still active.

Well well well.

Trust Whirly to come up with the answer!  I had NO IDEA that could happen!  Doesn't explain the forum posting weirdness I had, mind You, nor the fact that I didn't log on to the website to post this either!

Mind You I had just logged off from SL a couple of minutes before so maybe they hadn't noticed! :smileytongue:

Credit to Cerise Sorbet too, of course!

I gave up on complaining about the half baked cookies and the poor log in protocols that are used for the web site long time ago.  There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Last night when I posted a comment only half of what I wrote had posted and I found myself "logged out."  Had to log back in to fix the post.  In this case I just deleted it because I didn't feel like retyping everything I had wrote.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.