Networking Optimization Pile On Test - October 11th

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden Lab has made some changes to the way regions handle network traffic. We need your help to test. This will help us insure that regions are communicating appropriately over the network. Mainly we are concerned with agents entering via direct login, teleport, and region crossing. As well as other functions such as IMs, Voice, and Group chat.

Tomorrow, October 11th, at 4PM Pacific time (right after the server beta user group) we will conduct these tests with as many people as we have. Testing will take place on ADITI and require out of world communication we will be coordinating via IRC. This will require an IRC client connected to EFNET in the channel #sltest. If you don't know how to do that you have until tomorrow afternoon to figure it out. :-)

The details on the tests are here:

- https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Networking_Optimization_Pile_On_Tests

I hope you can come and help us test these new changes.

__Oskar

I think I have the IRC figured out so if my schedule works out tomorrow I will try and be there.

One question, simply because I don't want  to assume, do we need to be using the official viewer or will a TPV be OK?

ETA, you mentioned in your post above testing Voice but that is not mentioned in the list of tests (#1,#2,#3) in the Wiki.

are these network changes related to what we discovered about sim lag during heavy sim event?

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Increase-in-Instant-SIM-LAG-amp-Crashes-During-Larger-Events/td-p/1683765

I would love to help but i do not know about this IRC stuff. is there a slurl that we can go to in adititi tomorrow at 4pm slt?

Perrie Juran wrote:

I think I have the IRC figured out so if my schedule works out tomorrow I will try and be there.

One question, simply because I don't want  to assume, do we need to be using the official viewer or will a TPV be OK?

ETA, you mentioned in your post above testing Voice but that is not mentioned in the list of tests (#1,#2,#3) in the Wiki.

All viewers are ok. The more varied the better imo. It won't have any specific impact on this test.

__Oskar

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

are these network changes related to what we discovered about sim lag during heavy sim event?

I would love to help but i do not know about this IRC stuff. is there a slurl that we can go to in adititi tomorrow at 4pm slt?

these changes are not related to sim lag.

as far as irc perhaps someone in this forum can help you set it up.

__Oskar

If you do not have an IRC client installed or don't want to learn how to use one, it may be easiest for now to use their web setup.

To get there, go to http://chat.efnet.org:9090

In Nickname: use anything you like.

In the Channels: box, enter #sltest

The column on the right will be the list of people in the channel. You can type messages in the box way at the bottom of the window.

Cerise wrote:

If you do not have an IRC client installed or don't want to learn how to use one, it may be easiest for now to use their web setup.

To get there, go to 

In Nickname: use anything you like.

In the Channels: box, enter #sltest

The column on the right will be the list of people in the channel. You can type messages in the box way at the bottom of the window.

TYVM Cerise.

I was going through the trouble of configuring this http://www.mirc.com/

Saves me the work for something I don't know I'd use otherwise.

OK, having a few issues here.  I've never logged into the Beta grid so decided to do a test run.

First off, when logging in the first time I was presented with the TOS agreement again so I had to wait for that to load so I could accept it.  So that could delay any one who has never been on Aditi from logging in.

Secondly, when clicking the link in the Wiki,

"At 16:00 PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) please await instructions within IRC to launch Second Life and join us via the following SLurl GC Test 3."

I get the I get the "Launch Application/You have chosen to open, etc" menu.  When I select my viewer it opens but I lose the SLURL when I switch my choice to Aditi for log in. (It always opens with Agni as default).

If I am already logged into Aditi, it just opens another instance of  Firestorm.

So I am not sure how to get there from here.

Thanks

Cerise wrote:

SLurls from browsers tend to act flaky, especially when not using the main grid. It usually hurts less to skip that.

Instead, start the viewer by hand,  choose the grid you want, and copy/paste the SLurl to the Start at: field.

If already logged in, copy/paste the SLurl to the viewer's address bar.

What I am seeing in my browsers address bar is  secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/GC%20Test%203/128/128/24

I do hope this works.  I tried using it at "start at" but landed at a welcome area.  Probably isn't live right now.

Perrie Juran wrote:

What I am seeing in my browsers address bar is  secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/GC%20Test%203/128/128/24

I do hope this works.  I tried using it at "start at" but landed at a welcome area.  Probably isn't live right now.

Yeah, sorry, I just noticed that you wrote you are using Firestorm. Its login scren is really buggy when you use other grids. Just use the region name for start location on that viewer and keep your fingers crossed ... or use the LL viewer for this test.

Cerise wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I just noticed that you wrote you are using Firestorm. Its login scren is really buggy when you use other grids. Just use the region name for start location on that viewer and keep your fingers crossed ... or use the LL viewer for this test.

Well Oskar said above that it would be helpful to have people log in with TPV's.

And the official viewer gives my computer heartburn. (there's a long no longer viewable JIRA on that).

I am very familiar with doing copy and paste of SLURL's all the time.

So Oskar, help please??????

What will I need to paste into my start location when I launch my viewer?

ETA, will we all get Linden Bears for helping  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Cerise wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Well
Oskar
said above that it would be helpful to have people log in with TPV's.

And the official viewer gives my computer heartburn. (there's a long no longer viewable JIRA on that).

I am very familiar with doing copy and paste of SLURL's all the time.

So
Oskar
, help please??????

What will I need to paste into my start location when I launch my viewer?

ETA, will we all get Linden Bears for helping 
;)

You are on your own with TPV's. :-) Nothing against them, but I have never used one. I have no idea what they do or don't do or how to get them to work with ADITI.

I'll see what I can do for unique compensation :-)

__Oskar

For Firestorm, first change the grid on the startup screen. Don't try to log in yet. Quit the viewer and relaunch.  Refer to http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_grid_manager if you need confirmation that this matters. When it restarts, double check that the grid really says "Second Life Beta" now. If not, change it agan and repeat the quit/restart dance.

Next, fill in your login so it looks like this. The region name is GC Test 3, just like we see in the SLurl.

GCtest3.png

Cerise wrote:

For Firestorm, first change the grid on the startup screen. Don't try to log in yet. Quit the viewer and relaunch.  Refer to 
 if you need confirmation that this matters. When it restarts, double check that the grid really says "Second Life Beta" now. If not, change it agan and repeat the quit/restart dance.

Next, fill in your login so it looks like this. The region name is
GC Test 3
, just like we see in the SLurl.

GCtest3.png

TYVM Cerise.

After all my hoopla here I had better make sure I don't fall asleep at keyboard before this all starts.

This is so exciting, a new world for Marvin to explore.  I can't wait to plant the Martian Flag here.

@Oskar, Re:TPV's.  The fun that you are missing!   ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.