Much higher packet loss lately. A change in server software?

Rhys Goode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For years, packet loss associated with flaky wifi connections in hotels and campgrounds weremy biggest bane in the SL lag area.

Then suddenly, last summer anyway, the problem went away. I would hardly *ever* see packet loss, even on a system that was pretty much bandwidth limited. It was like magic, what had been a frequent problem went to a rare event.

Well, I have been having some issues at home lately, and finally got around to looking at packet loss. After a year of it being no problem at all, now it is back: 3 to 7 % in a busy sim. My friend last night saw 14% and she had never had a problem.

I went out today, went to several busy sims, and had high packet loss in all ~5 +/1 a few %, so I do not think it was a rogue sim last night. So my best guess is a change in server software. (both for the radical improvement last year, and the radical degradation of the last few weeks. 

Anyone know what is up? 

I don't have any explanation but I've been experiencing the same thing. This is a new avatar but I've been in SL for 4+ years, never had these kind of issues. I know my internet isn't at fault with an average upload of 56mb/s and download of 12mb/s. Having the same issues in both current accounts regardless of which viewer I try, and restarts don't matter either. Everyone I've talked to is having similar issues. :(

fairfoxglove wrote:  Everyone I've talked to is having similar issues.
:(

Really? My packet loss is consistently under 0.5% -- usually 0.0 unless I'm using wifi.

If there is a change affecting some folks, it can't be server software -- or, at least not directly. Packet loss is strictly a function of network connectivity, and at that pretty low-level in the network stack.

Although I think dramatic changes in packet loss are almost always due to changes in the user's local network, I could make up a very location-specific story that would involve the gradual shift away from UDP to TCP + http in SL's client-server communications, and possibly the shift to CDN for delivering textures and other cachable content. Certain parts of the world have had CDN problems (but... packet loss specifically? not sure about that).

To be practical about it, for packet loss with wifi-connected sessions, if at all possible, try with a wired connection and see if the entire problem goes away. If so, at least you'll know what to fix and who needs to do the fixing.

I have no noticeable packet loss and never had some in the past and I'm on the other side of the world.

So what makes you say "it can't be my connection". What exactly did you test to prove that? Let me guess - a speed test to a location next to you? That proves nothing.

Connect by wire, reset router, make test to a LL server or next to it. The viewers packet loss display is not sufficient to find the source. It can be a problem in your ISP's net or on your end.

Well, a few days later, and the problem is gone. I discounted my ISP, because a friend was having similar problems the day I posted, and since we live several thousand miles apart, I figured it what to be a common cause. But both of our problems went away and have not come back. Wi-fi has been so robust lately, I did not think my ISP could be nearly bad enough to lose 10% of my packets. I was wrong.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.