Low lag sims/servers

Guadaloupe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. We are moving our club somewhere else in the future and have been offered a parcel that is, as the other party said a "Low lag class 8 sim" .  I am just wondering if there is such a thing and if so, what are the benefits? And if not, does it then really matter where you get land?

Folks put all sorts of junk in their parcel descriptions to try and get a sale and most folks in SL are technically inexperienced - it doesn't necessarily mean anything and probably doesn't.

All sims are (roughly) equal. I mean there's an element of unpredictability, and server reliability will adjust over time (as hardware fails/is replaced/updated/blah blah). But largely, a sim is a sim. You don't get any guarantees on behaviour, up-time or performance, so everything can change without notice. Sims don't necessarily stay on the same physical server.

The only way to secure performance points for any length of time is to own your own full region, and tightly control those allowed to visit and who can rez objects. Sharing a parcel won't cut it, since all that has to happen is someone to move in next to you with a cat/horse/octopus/pet rock farm or a house with hundreds of 1024 x 1024 textures, and your "low lag" sim will fall over on the daily.

• 2 weeks later...

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Folks put all sorts of junk in their parcel descriptions to try and get a sale and most folks in SL are technically inexperienced - it doesn't necessarily mean anything and probably doesn't.

Not just probably doesn't, certainly doesn't. The server class system was discontinued in 2009 but is still used as false advertising by some unscrupulous or ignorant sim owners. Here's the blog post announcing the end of sim classes:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land-and-Sea-General/Moving-away-from-server-Class/ba-p/650813

ChinRey wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Not just probably doesn't,
certainly
doesn't. The server class system was discontinued in 2009 but is still used as false advertising by some unscrupulous or ignorant sim owners. Here's the blog post announcing the end of sim classes:

One of the things I see these people who use Server Class to push their sales is Tyche Sheperd's Grid Survey.  Server classes are listed in it.  Examples:

Class 501

Class 701

Class 801

I don't understand what's going on here myself.  Would be nice if we could get Tyche to explain.

ChinRey wrote:

Not just probably doesn't,
certainly
doesn't. The server class system was discontinued in 2009 but is still used as false advertising by some unscrupulous or ignorant sim owners. Here's the blog post announcing the end of sim classes:

Thanks for confirming. I'll hold onto this link for future. :)

I was fairly sure about this but couldn't find authoritative documentation on it. Flippin' blogs.

@Perrie - 

Worth noting that the 501 sim you found has been offline since 2010. That said, I don't know what attributes Tyche's software uses to determine server class. I would assume the attribute still exists, but isn't accurate.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.