Does anything work as planned?

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am repeatedly told that vehicle prims are counted against a region-wide prim count, and tha total parcel-related limit which triggers parcel-full messages is less than the region total. With prims also being used for Avatar Attachments, there needs to be a fairly large margin, and I have a recollection that there is a chunk of the total reserve allocated just for vehicles.

Yet I find myself too frequently plummeting from the Grid's unfriendly skies after crossing to a new sim, being told that my vehicle was not allowed entry because the parcel was full. It turns up, eventually, in my Lost+Found folder.

This seems to be an ancient bug that has never been resolved.

I could say something pretty rude about the security orbs on some parcels (and nothing visible within range), which ends up with the same effect, but that's a different problem.

And somebody is going to tell me it's my connection that's to blame for all this.

Does any virtual world work as designed? Probably not, but after a dozen years you'd think a problem would have been fixed.

Everything you describe is working as it was designed - it's just not working how you'd like.

• Attached prims don't count against parcel prim limits.
  • Vehicles aren't counted specially. They are rezzed objects, just like a house or science demonstration. There is no "margin".
  • Private land owners have no obligation to leave prims available for random users to fly or drive vehicles over their property.
  • If you want to guarantee available prims, you can buy your own land. Moving over land that you control is the only way to be sure prims will be available.

Perhaps you don't actually own any land, and this is why these myths take root? In this case it may be best to upgrade your understanding of how Land and Objects interact in SL.

Hope this helps!

Security orbs have an option to give warning before automatically ejecting someone who is not supposed to have access to the land.  Mine is set up so that a warning is given and several seconds pass before pushing the avatar off my land.  Security orbs are kinder than ban lines which give no warning.

Crossing sim boundaries is one of the most complicated things that SL servers have to contend with because one server has to hand over the control of all your bits and bobs to another server.  If you plumet from unfriendly skys when you are not hitting ban lines or being ejected by orbs or exceeding the prim limit  then it is timeouts caused by you being overloaded. You can improve performance by reducing the stuff that you carry with you such as complex attachments and scripted objects.

Flying higher may help with ban lines etc.

You could also try flying over linden public land: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Department_of_Public_Works

Freya Mokusei wrote:

• Vehicles aren't counted specially. They are rezzed objects, just like a house or science demonstration. There is no "margin".

No, actually, sat-upon objects are treated specially. ("Autonomous vehicles", however, are just regular rezzed objects.) There is a separate pool of prims available for those (and for selected objects) above and beyond the 15,000 land impact available to non-temp-rezzed objects on a sim. And another whole pool for temp-rezzed objects And the aforementioned attached objects. And maybe other stuff I'm forgetting.

Ohjiro mentions sim crossing and this refers to a truly ancient bug that's relevant here.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.