Deploys for the week of 2014-03-03

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel will be updated to get the server maintenance project that was on BlueSteel and LeTigre last week.  This project contains an infrastructure update, with no functional changes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/14#14.02.24.287086

Scheduled Tuesday 2014-03-04 04:00-09:00 PST

Second Life RC BlueSteel and RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are on a new server maintenance project.  This project contains assorted bug fixes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/14#14.02.28.287383
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/14#14.02.28.287383

Scheduled Wednesday 2014-03-05 07:00-10:30 PST

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum will remain on the same version as last week (there will be no roll this week).  This project enables support for a new version of the inventory service, AISv3.  To make use of this new feature, login with the Sunshine Project Viewer.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/14#14.02.21.286985

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

• Lindens

Marianne McCann wrote:

For BlueSteel and LeTigre, it says "
Fixed a bug in which certain objects had incorrect status when crossing between regions"

Can you go into more detail on this, please. or point me somewhere that I can find out more?

Sure.  AnnMarie Otoole filed BUG-5120 about an obscure case in which see has a special box that gets deleted about 15 seconds after rezzing then immediately crossing into a certain region.  This deletion was caused by the box having a flag set saying that it was a vehicle.  When the object crossed, the parcel behaved as though it was a vehicle entering a no-object-entry parcel.  Sims don't immediately know if a region-crossing object is actually a vehicle, so they wait until a timeout (around 15 seconds) to see if any passengers arrive.  Since this box has no passengers, the destination sim would decide 'you can't be here' and would delete the object.  With the fix, the object is no longer considered a vehicle upon entry, and is (incorrectly) immediately deleted due to 'you can't be in this parcel.  So AnnMarie's BUG isn't fixed with this update, since her object still gets deleted, but at least the object isn't miscategorized as a vehicle.  No other objects that I tested are affected by this change - it's limited to AnnMarie's special box.

Maestro Linden wrote:

Marianne McCann wrote:

For BlueSteel and LeTigre, it says "
Fixed a bug in which certain objects had incorrect status when crossing between regions"

Can you go into more detail on this, please. or point me somewhere that I can find out more?

Sure.  AnnMarie Otoole filed 
 about an obscure case in which see has a special box that gets deleted about 15 seconds after rezzing then immediately crossing into a certain region.  This deletion was caused by the box having a flag set saying that it was a vehicle.  When the object crossed, the parcel behaved as though it was a vehicle entering a no-object-entry parcel.  Sims don't immediately know if a region-crossing object is actually a vehicle, so they wait until a timeout (around 15 seconds) to see if any passengers arrive.  Since this box has no passengers, the destination sim would decide 'you can't be here' and would delete the object.  With the fix, the object is no longer considered a vehicle upon entry, and is (incorrectly) immediately deleted due to 'you can't be in this parcel.  So AnnMarie's BUG isn't fixed with this update, since her object still gets deleted, but at least the object isn't miscategorized as a vehicle.  No other objects that I tested are affected by this change - it's limited to AnnMarie's special box.

So that may be what explains the appearance this past week of this box (message 53) that was blocking the road and people were abuse reporting.

• Lindens

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Maestro

Could You please jog the GSP op's elbow to properly announce the RC rolls today?  I assume they ARE happening for LeTigre and Bluesteel since a LeTigre sim I visit seems to have rolled?

Yes, the rolls really did happen.  I also see that http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ doesn't have any mention of them, but there should be an entry.  Nudging away..

I've noticed something similar when my physical vehicles which were set as vehicles have gone into a region without any passengers, and get returned automatically as you've described. So far I've been able to test it with vehicles that start in Owasco and go into Honeoye, and also starting in Manitoba and going into Athabasca. They always get returned consistently within 15 seconds, as you said. However, I've also found that entering and exiting with a passenger consistently makes a vehicle "immune" to being incorrectly returned. In other words, a vehicle that has a passenger in Owasco (or Manitoba) and enters Honeoye (or Athabasca) with the passenger, then exits Honeoye (or Athabasca) with a passenger. The vehicle will then be able to enter any region that allows object entry without being returned, whether it has a passenger or not.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.