Deploys for the week of 2013-02-18 (updated @ 2013-02-19)

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

The server deploy schedule for this week is delayed a day from the normal schedule, due to a US holiday on Monday (President's Day).

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is getting the interest list improvement project which has been on Magnum for the past few weeks.

In addition to the interest list changes, this version adds support for normal and specular maps.  This blog post has more information about the project.  The next step is to release a project viewer, which will allow users to try out this new functionality.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.02.08.270166

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-02-20 05:00-12:00 PST

Second Life RC BlueSteel:

BlueSteel is getting a new project, which aims to improve overall sim performance when objects are being rezzed.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.02.15.270482

Due to a last minute bug found in the rez performance project, BlueSteel will instead get the same project as Magnum.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.02.15.270481

Scheduled Thursday 2013-02-21 07:00-11:00 PST

Second Life RC LeTigre:

LeTigre is getting the same object rez project as BlueSteel. 

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.02.15.270482

Due to a last minute bug found in the rez performance project, LeTigre will instead get the same project as Magnum.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.02.15.270481

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is getting the server maintenance product which was on LeTigre last week.  This update fixes some miscellaneous crash modes, and includes an improvement to the rolling restart 'shutdown' notification (which won't be visible during the initial roll, but should be visible in the 2nd roll when the new code shuts down).

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.02.15.270481

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Excellent work! We should have known that moving away from the Magnum server to a different channel was not going to solve the problems. The same problems we had with Metabolt in Magnum regions are now introduced on the Second Life Servers as well. At least for a little over a week we enjoyed a smooth-running SL without the questionable "improvement". Thanks!

Maestro

I am a little confused. :smileyfrustrated:  So Magnum will be getting what was on LeTigre last week.  OK.

Then:

Since the code for LeTigre this week didn't pass QA we are getting the same as Magnum...but since Magnum is getting what was on LeTigre last week...??

So, I ask, "What, if anything, new IS LeTigre getting this week?  Or will it just be a formality and a restart? :smileysurprised:

Maestro

I'm not sure you appreciate my point: Server Version13.02.5.270481 is in every way that I can see identical to that rolled to LeTigre last week!!

So I ask again, in the case of LeTigre, what's new? In this case I cannot for the life of me see what is being rolled that is different.  Is this (in the case of LeTigre anyway) simply a roll to do a restart?

(I do aknowledge the value of the weekly restart by the way!)

OK Maestro

I am now confused and a little disappointed.  Last week's LeTigre Roll was supposed to introduce code that altered the Restart Notice, to make it (I assume) more prominent.

About 15 minutes ago we received the 5 minute warning on Woods of Heaven (sim 9030 LeTigre RC).  It is completely unchanged from the previous one!  Now for me this is no big deal 'cos I find the current one perfectly adequate, but your release notes made a point of stating that the Maintenance warning was improved, and a LOT of folk in SL do not share my current opinion that the warning is adequate.

So, now I am left asking...what (if anything) DID you guys do to it?

Something very odd going on with my Dwarfins on one parcel, on one side they're fine and in another room they've gone invisible *(not transparent). When I click on them their hats appear but not the rest of them. I will investigate with other viewers later just to see if it's a random glitch or something silly like that.

This is on the main release channel, not sure why only one room would be acting up when it's the same parcel.

• Lindens

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Maestro

I'm not sure you appreciate my point: Server Version13.02.5.270481 is in every way that I can see identical to that rolled to LeTigre last week!!

So I ask again, in the case of LeTigre, what's new? In this case I cannot for the life of me see what is being rolled that is different.  Is this (in the case of LeTigre anyway) simply a roll to do a restart?

(I do aknowledge the value of the weekly restart by the way!)

Ah, the only changes between RC LeTigre 13.02.07.27012 and 13.02.15.270481 are the ones that were introduced to the main channel:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.02.08.270166

So the short answer to your question is that it now includes the interest list improvement changes and simulator support for normal and specular maps.

Since the restarts the sim in the SE corner disappears again :(  This happens also when looking in from the other sim!

My Parcel is located at: 

You are at 292,604.0, 278,276.0, 95.4 in Riback located at sim7658.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.36.225:13000)
Second Life RC LeTigre 13.02.15.270481

The affected connected sim:

You are at 292,626.0, 278,243.0, 103.6 in Mists Edge located at sim7685.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.36.252:12035)
Second Life Server 13.02.08.270166

Thanks

Black

I've no idea what you have done to Iaconelli (blue steel) sim but suddenly now after the roll it is impossible to change the audio stream on the parcel, either using script or directly in the land tab...  and no. there have not been any group changes that would affect my authority

You are at 262,628.0, 256,945.0, 2,783.4 in Iaconelli located at sim7560.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.35.53:13002)
Second Life RC BlueSteel 13.02.15.270481

Maestro

I am seeing what I must assume to be a side-effect of the Interest List.  This is all in deferred mode (ie Shadows and Lights)

If I look away from my home while shadows are cast towards me, I see the shadow of a partially rezzed building.  Just what rezzes is a bit random, but the shadow faithfully reproduces that which is rezzed.

If I then turn so that I am looking at the building, it will then rez and the shadow is that of the fully rezzed building.

This may be unavoidable due to the way the viewer and sim code works, but it is surely undesireable?

• Lindens

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Maestro

I am seeing what I must assume to be a side-effect of the Interest List.  This is all in deferred mode (ie Shadows and Lights)

If I look away from my home while shadows are cast towards me, I see the shadow of a partially rezzed building.  Just what rezzes is a bit random, but the shadow faithfully reproduces that which is rezzed.

If I then turn so that I am looking at the building, it will then rez and the shadow is that of the fully rezzed building.

This may be unavoidable due to the way the viewer and sim code works, but it is surely undesireable?

Yes, that does sound like a side effect of the interest list's optimization of not showing objects which aren't (directly) in view.  I forwarded your comment to the interest list update team, though I can't immediately think of a non-taxing solution for off-camera objects which cast large shadows within the camera's view.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.