Deploys for the week of 2012-06-11

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LeTigre had issues this morning and required us to tweak some details. We will attempt a redeploy of LeTigre Thursday morning. 

Second Life Server (main channel)

This channel will get the code that was on LeTigre. This contains simulator changes to help with upcoming infrastructure projects. There are no visible changes to behaviour.

2012-06-12, 5:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/12

Second Life RC BlueSteel

This channel will have the simulator changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This is the same code that was on here last week.

2012-06-13, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/12

Second Life RC LeTigre

This channel will contain new a new project with more simulator changes to help with upcoming infrastructure projects. There are no visible changes to behaviour.

2012-06-14, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/12

Second Life RC Magnum

This will once again be a maint-server channel. There is just a fix for this bug: 

• Bug Fixes
    • SVC-7902: Problem of not being able to rez on my land continues

2012-06-13, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/12

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.

I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar

I note that the bugfix for SVC-7902 is not released to Main Server and yet is on Magnum again this week.  With the pressure on for a fix to be rolled to Main Server, why the delay?:smileyfrustrated:

Secondly although the software rolled to LeTigre last week and due for augmentation this week is supposed not to cause any detectable changes, as I pointed out on the last blog release, there have been some odd subtle changes to sculpty rezzing, should we expect more of the same this week?

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Oskar

I note that the bugfix for SVC-7902 is not released to Main Server and yet is on Magnum again this week.  With the pressure on for a fix to be rolled to Main Server, why the delay?:smileyfrustrated:

Secondly although the software rolled to LeTigre last week and due for augmentation this week is supposed not to cause any detectable changes, as I pointed out on the last blog release, there have been some odd subtle changes to sculpty rezzing, should we expect more of the same this week?

I know the SVC-7902 fixes are important. I don't make the call on which channel to promote. Those fixes will be promoted next week. In the meantime people who contact support and are strongly affected by this issue could ask to have their regions put onto Magnum.

As for sculpty rezzing changes I don't know what you are talking about. Is there a Jira? Do they rez correctly on the RC's that are not LeTigre?

__Oskar

Oskar

I know you don't make the promotion calls (more's the pity, you seem to have more concern and common sense than some...).

As to the sculpty rezzing thing ( I suspect it is perhaps to do with the way the sim responds to the viewer call), I haven't see a JIRA and I haven't made one (yet).  Yes it does seem to be RC dependant.  I still have a nagging doubt about the culpability server software so I am not shouting yet.  I have a suspicion that it is connected with the render pathway that has been optimised for mesh...maybe some sculpties are falling foul of a algorithm change, 'cos it's only some, not all!

I am sorry, Oskar, I am but a bear of very little brain, and the JIRA system makes my head hurt.

It is, so far as I can tell, a system of managing faults designed for use by programmers within a company. It seems a terrible system for reporting faults, and the public access appears to ruin it as a tool for internal communication.

The claims I see being made here in the forums sometimes seem pretty fanciful, sometimes blaming new features before they are even installed. Sometimes the complainant seems to think they know more about the software than you do.

I don't envy you.

But if JIRA is the solution, you must have a damned strange problem 

Oskar

The guys that do the restarts are being a bit antsy today.  I just got booted off Woods of Heaven (LeTigre) with the words "You have been logged out of Second Life, your region is going down".  No 5 minute warning, none at all.  Not nice.

Edit:  I finally managed to get back onto Woods after 30 minutes down, to find that the sim had been rolled back, and that I was, as I had been at my earlier login, at my Home spot, not where I was logged out.

I also noted that the server version had not changed.  So what gives, Oskar?  Is there no new software or is there a problem?

I note that there is nothing pertaining to this week in the LeTigre release notes.

@Wolf

Something must be going on, 'cos what happened to our sim is by no measure normal.  I am sure that we will hear from Oskar in due course, when he has finished his impersonation of the proverbial Blue-tail fly.

This is not good, in any shade. I checked...still no Release notes for LeTigre for this week.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Oskar

The guys that do the restarts are being a bit antsy today.  I just got booted off Woods of Heaven (LeTigre) with the words "You have been logged out of Second Life, your region is going down".  No 5 minute warning, none at all.  Not nice.

Edit:  I finally managed to get back onto Woods after 30 minutes down, to find that the sim had been rolled back, and that I was, as I had been at my earlier login, at my Home spot, not where I was logged out.

I also noted that the server version had not changed.  So what gives, Oskar?  Is there no new software or is there a problem?

I note that there is nothing pertaining to this week in the LeTigre release notes.

There were issues with the release that complicated the normal process. Regions restarted without warning. You will note that I noted above what was going to go to LeTigre today. However since LeTigre had issues this morning I'll need to update that. The wiki pages haven't been updated yet if that is what you are referring to.

Oskar

Sorry to be pedantic, but is there no change in the apparent server version?  Our sim (Woods of Heaven) hasn't updated the server version in Help.

Was it supposed to?  Your notes for LeTigre suggest it was a "new project" but effectively more of the same.:matte-motes-confused:

Oskar since the restarts today on Blue Steel we are back to the same pattern of sudden and unannounced crashes that plagued us two weeks ago when this code was first introduced.  It would be really nice if restarts marked a step forward and not on backward and that they actually dealt with some of the problems that are plaguing us all and not some pet project of an unknown Linden who has the power to place it above other more needed code. Unfortunately, the Linden way appears to be one step forward two steps backward and the result are obvious in the declining online numbers, close businesses and abandoned land.  I realize you do not make these decisions and are bound by the will of others, but if they have an ounce of concern for the overall health of Second Life they will back off and let you do the job that you have shown you are so capable of doing.

I have a simple question that deserves an answer.  What changes have you made in the last few restarts that we need to know about,. have the bandwidth thresholds been lowered, has logging to accounts on on the same computer been stopped, have the old inventory protocols been altered, is the rezz process changed.  These things along with new and massive amounts of serious lag have all accompanied yesterdays and todays logins and are getting worse and if they have been intentionally altered it would be nice if LL would let us know so we can take steps to deal with them, otherwise we will just have to consider it another LL blunder and one more reason to seriously curtail our activity in sl and with it our financial support of Linden Labs.

Oskar

Thanks for the clarification.  So there was no new code on the server - OK, we should expect a restart during our RL afternoon UK time.

Just one thing - there are still no release notes to indicate what code to expect on LeTigre.  Will they be posted today?

I want to do a viewer upgrade today, and I have no intention of letting the sim boot me part way through my inventory reload and settings work.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Oskar

Thanks for the clarification.  So there was no new code on the server - OK, we should expect a restart during our RL afternoon UK time.

Just one thing - there are still no release notes to indicate what code to expect on LeTigre.  Will they be posted today?

I want to do a viewer upgrade today, and I have no intention of letting the sim boot me part way through my inventory reload and settings work.

What I posted in this forum is the release notes. I mentioned that yesterday. 

The LeTIgre roll is still in progress.

Oskar, the relative timings of the Grid Status message and what you just posted look pretty dreadful. It would be easy to infer there is a **bleep**-up in progress.

Grid Status: [uPDATED 8:45am PDT, 14 June 2012] We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the LeTigre RC server channel starting momentarily.

Oskar, 12:13pm : The LeTIgre roll is still in progress.

And now there is unscheduled maintenance.

It really doesn't sound like a good day for you. 

@Oskar

Yes I know what code to expect - you did tell us that.  What I meant was the ID number ie 12.06.xx.xxxxxx of the rolled code, so's we'd know whether that was rolled our not.  But as things stand I won't expect that any time soon since you undoubtedly have your hands full right now.

@Wolf

Sure looks like one.  Again.

I am getting dreadfully bad sim crossings in the channel south of Nautilus City. It is consistently happening in about the same place, with different vehicles and with freshly started viewers.

Regions known to be involved:

Fisher

Rolveston 

Symptoms:

Vehicle controls lock, possibly resulting in extreme turn rates

If locked on straight-line course, X and Y coordinates will greatly exceed normal range of values.

Eventually the AV is dumped at a region edge and the vehicle may be returned from a far-distant region  In some cases the AV can move normally, and TP. In others the Viewer must be closed.

The regions named appear to be running on MC code, the fault may be down to the code on the adjacent region from which it was entered.

In all cases the vehicle has been making successful sim crossings until it reached this area, sometimes as many as twenty without incident. These events seem to be very location-specific. and were not occurring before this weeks roll-outs. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.