Deploys for the week of 2012-05-21

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Region Idling project is being promoted to main channel Tuesday morning. The details are here:

- http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Region-Idling-coming-to-Second-Life/td-p/1535485 

FAQ here:

- http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Region-Idling-FAQ/td-p/1535497.

Second Life Server (main channel)

The Region Idling project will be promoted here this week.

2012-05-22, 5:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/12

Second Life RC BlueSteel

This channel has server changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This will also have the region idling project enabled.

2012-05-23, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/12

Second Life RC LeTigre

This has the Threaded Region Crossing project. This contains the prototype threaded region cross for agents and uses the new threaded RPC/thread state machine mechanism. Look for issues with region crossings. It will also have the Region Idling project enabled.

2012-05-23, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/12

Second Life RC Magnum

This contains the same Threaded Region Crossing code as LeTigre. It will also have the Region Idling project enabled.

2012-05-23, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/12

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.

I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

I don't like doing this...but...is the Main Channel Roll happening?  Again, there is nothing on the Grid Status Page about it...it should've started an hour ago!

What gives?

PS I didn't have to log in again to post!

Edit: It is now 20:45hr BST and according to the Grid Status Page there has been no Main Channel Roll.  This is ridiculous.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

I don't like doing this...but...is the Main Channel Roll happening?  Again, there is nothing on the Grid Status Page about it...it should've started an hour ago!

What gives?

PS I didn't have to log in again to post!

Edit: It is now 20:45hr BST and according to the Grid Status Page there has been no Main Channel Roll.  This is ridiculous.

It's a configuration only change. It's live now.

__Oskar

Um..OK Oskar

I'm not sure I fully understand, but I hear what you say.  Your original post appeared to say that there was to be a Main-Server Roll yesterday, and a Roll for us on LeTiggywinkle today.  Seems not.:matte-motes-confused:

Oskar Linden wrote:

The Region Idling project is being promoted to main channel Tuesday morning. The details are here:

- 

FAQ here:

- 

Second Life Server (main channel)

The Region Idling project will be promoted here this week.

2012-05-22, 5:00am: Release Notes: 

Second Life RC BlueSteel

This channel has server changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This will also have the region idling project enabled.

2012-05-23, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: 

Second Life RC LeTigre

This has the Threaded Region Crossing project. This contains the prototype threaded region cross for agents and uses the new threaded RPC/thread state machine mechanism. Look for issues with region crossings. It will also have the Region Idling project enabled.

Second Life RC Magnum

This contains the same Threaded Region Crossing code as LeTigre. It will also have the Region Idling project enabled.

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.

I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (
 ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:

i have no clue what this means honestly.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Um..OK Oskar

I'm not sure I fully understand, but I hear what you say.  Your original post appeared to say that there was to be a Main-Server Roll yesterday, and a Roll for us on LeTiggywinkle today.  Seems not.:matte-motes-confused:

The code on LeTigre is also a configuration file deploy. That means that the region doesn't need to be restarted to see the changes. Also the simulator version number doesn't change.

__Oskar

emmettcullen93 wrote:

Oskar Linden wrote:

i have no clue what this means honestly.

It is a guide to the changes that are happening to the systems that run Second Life this week.

__Oskar

emmettcullen93 wrote:

ok ty Oskar. i wasnt sure as i dont know much about server issues. thank you again for clarifying.

You're welcome. Most people use this post as a way to see what changes are happening to the regions each week. For example you can see that there are changes to region crossing code in the LeTigre and Magnum regions. If you were experiencing issues teleporting or crossing regions in places that had that code you would know that it might be because of the changes. You can tell which code your region is running by going to Help -> About Second Life.

__Oskar

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Oskar, this sort of change maybe should be described in a slightly different way. In the current notice there is an ambiguity between a roll-out of new code, and just switching a function on. I know I was expecting more restarts, and the status announcement was a bit of a surprise to me.

That's a good point Wolf. This is the first time we've been able to do something like this. I'll try to communicate clearly next time.

__Oskar

The Lindens deal with these things everyday and have years. I think it is some times difficult for them to realize how much information they are assuming when they write a post explanning what they are doing. I am sure I have the same problem. I hope I'm a level or two below their geek level explanations.

I won't say that I always get it right, but I try to write a geek to human translation of these events in my blog. I run a bit behind these posts. But, I include information form other developement teams too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.