Deploy plans for the week of 2016-11-14

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is getting server maintenance update from last RC.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/16#16.11.02.321369

Scheduled Tuesday 2016-11-15 03:00-09:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel (no roll):

BlueSteel is staying on the same maintenance project as last week.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/16#16.11.02.321369

Second Life RC LeTigre (no roll):

LeTigre is staying on the same maintenance project as last week.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/16#16.11.02.321369

Second Life RC Magnum (no roll):

Magnum is staying on the same maintenance project as last week.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/16#16.11.02.321369

to be honest the grid is a mess you should have tested this on the Private islands where the ability to move from sim to sim is not a game killer. instead we have  simes that are broken into small blocks that cant talk outside of itself   As you are aware Sailing and aviation are what are keeping the Shores of the mainland active. it wont stay that way if we keepd seeing things like this.  Rollb back the super prim increase to the beta grid becuse right now this is barely alpha quality.

Have you lost it? Do you have any idea what you are asking? What about the people who already are using those extra prims?

Anyway, do you have any idea what you're writing about at all? Who said it's the prims capacity increase that is causing the current poor performance? Did you join SL last week or something? I've seen this happen too many times over the years I've been sailing/flying around.

What I am seeing is very prolonged sim-crossing processes, entering Sim A and not completed before hitting the Sim B boundary and  a crash.

It's affecting regions in all the channels

Some of them are very empty Mainland, such as Fuschia.

I am not optimistic about rolling out the new code on the Main Channel

I do wonder if the higher prim counts are a factor. It's not obviously so.

Atosuria Daviau wrote:

.. Rollb back the super prim increase to the beta grid becuse right now this is barely alpha quality. ..

I have to agree. Warn people to pick up their extra prims and revert the change.

It's made sailing and flying impossible. Since the change went in the next region never appears or is a solid brick wall.

Barely anyone will be using those prims, so take them back, give us back sailing, and roll them out later, in an ordered manner to private estates first.

Abigail Merlin wrote:

Bryce,

are you paying for the  land you use for sailing and flying? if not then you are a guest of those that do and have nothing to demand.

Now, your premise is, from one point of view understandable.  It is just not realistic.  When we sail across Blake Sea, we are almost totally in Linden-owned sims.  The sim-crossing issue remains due to the software changes, and it is those, possibly those that permit the prim-bonus, that are causing the trouble.

If, in order to sail in SL, we had to own all the sims we sail upon, it would be prohibitively expensive for most, if not all of us.

If, in your view we have no say in how these sims behave, we may as well tie up and forget about sailing.:smileysad:

That would, in my estimation lose Linden Lab 10% of its clientelle.  I doubt that they would be happy at that eventuality.

Abigail Merlin wrote:

Bryce,

are you paying for the  land you use for sailing and flying? if not then you are a guest of those that do and have nothing to demand.

Abigail, I pay the lab directly for One full sim, and two homesteads. I pay Second Norway for hanger space at SLNO, I pay Sailer's Cove for a Homestead attached to the Blake Sea, and I pay SKF for land on Nautilus.

So, in fact, yes, I do pay for land I am sailing and flying over. Now the Blake Sea is larger than my my meagre holdings but it is a large common shared area that supports a LOT of people, far more than the number of dancers in some pathetic night club, or the rubber wearing gimps in some sex club.

On a weekend there can be a map full of green dots. We are ALL affected terribly right now.

These extra prims need to be ripped right out of the mainland and then such major changes put in properly, in a way that won't affect people. 

Doing it in estates first means that bugs can be worked out in isolation. Doing it mainland means people with 1024 draw distances are seeing huge problems.

Although I understand the frustration of increased sim-crossing difficulties, and I believe the reports*, the fact it worsened around the same time as (some) Mainland parcels got the Land Impact boost seems much more likely to be coincidental than there being any causal relation.

The frustrating thing is that this same problem happens periodically, where crossings mysteriously worsen dramatically, and then they gradually improve until sailors are lulled into expecting reliable sim crossings again, until the next time it all goes to crap -- and never is there any explanation of what went wrong or how it recovered.

*I really just have to take people's word for it. Sim crossings are always about equally dreadful for me, regardless of all the tricks that are supposed to help or reports of good and bad crossing conditions on the grid. I attribute this to living in Canada where our trickle of internet is a product of the most blatant regulatory capture on earth. It's bizarre that Americans have imagined problems with our comparatively quite good government health care, whereas the real misery is the Canadian government's ineffective regulation of our colluding private telecom services. /rant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.