Corrupted upload :: how can I force a reoad?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday (2 May 2015) my Second Life tried to auto-update my computer's Second Life software, and the download/update process deleted some parts of my computer's Second Life software, then started to upload something, and jammed, and halted. After that, I can see SL, but my avatar remains as a white cloud; however long I wait, and the sound refuses to connect. Pllease how can I force a Second Life software upload, to put this right? I want to keep my avatar and its property and attachments including my backpack jetpack.

Yep - mine failed too. It fails every time.

Go here to download the update manually, then run it to install:

http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

Updating should not have any effect on your inventory, although you *might* need to clear your cache and let it all redownload if things are badly messed up by the failed update. That's never happened to me though, once I download the updated viewer manually.

I just now tried what you said. I dowloaded Second_Life_3_7_28_300918_i686_Setup.exe . I clicked on it. It deleted parts of my old setup, then unpacked various parts of my setup, then errored on writing to

C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\SecondLifeViewer.exe

And again, if I log in to Second Like, it shows me as a cloud, and never finishes downloading my clothes.

I use an antiviral called BullGuard. Should I get rid of it?

Thanks; but please how can I get my PC into administrator mode to delete my file SecondLifeViewer.exe ?, as you state above. I have Windows 8.1 . I am my PC's only user. Whenever I try to manually delete my file SecondLifeViewer.exe , it says that I cannot delete file SecondLifeViewer.exe because it is open in System.

Is there any risk that these doings will lose my avatar's jetpack? It is useful and it contains a script that lets me fly faster.

Thanks. I found how to go into the explorer in Admin mode. I uninstalled Second Live Viewer, and ALL its files duly disappeared, including SecondLifeViewer.exe . Then I re-installed Second Life Viewer, and logged in on it, and it worked properly, and my avatar appeared, complete with jetpack.

Anti-virus software varies in things like false alarms, but don't remove what you have. I'd disable it after downloading the installer, manually run a scan on the installer, and see if anything is flagged.

A Linden Lab download should be safe, but if anything turns up in the file, let us all know. There are false positives, but the Lab might have slipped up. 

Then install without the anti-virus active. I'll go along with the other commenters about installing from scratch. You shouldn't really need to but sometimes it can make a big difference. And it is one of the standard problem-cures which can work without having to know what is wrong.

I know the Firestorm crowd have a web page on doing a Clean Install which tells you where things such as chat logs might be, and how you can keep such things safe. There may be something on the SL Wiki too. Folder names will differ for different viewers—a quick check suggests "SecondLife" can be substituted for "Firestorm".

In my experience, a Clean Install isn't as vital as some would say, but when things get like this it makes a huge amount of sense. It's like rebooting your ADSL-router, an easy no-thought answer that can make a difference. And at times like this, why not?

(And a part of me says you don't try every fix-it trick at the same time, because you never know what really fixed it.)

I see you got things sorted.

That error message looks odd.

I think I would have tried a reboot of my system, to clear up any lingering elements that might not have closed. And that might be behind your problems. If the program wasn't properly closed, the update could have fallen over.

Rebooting your system is one of those catch-all fixes. And, like all of them, it tends to dodge "what went wrong" questions. There are other ways of fixing a program that didn't close properly, involving Task Manager and such, but the details get hard to explain.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.