Login to private region

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can I set up a private region or area, and have students log directly into that region without going through the main SecondLife login page.

I would like to use VR for some business classes, but because we have a few high school students in our classes, it would be better if they logged directly into my private classroom.

Welcome to Second Life Forums.

Everyone has to log into Second Life via either the Second Life official viewer client, or one of the approved third party clients.

If a student has created an account through an educational establishment (and this would have to be done with the help of Linden Lab directly), it is possible to have these particular created avatar accounts restricted to your own educational area within Second Life, and only be allowed to view General-rated things in Second Life, including profile content. Again, to be sure, you would need to talk directly with the creators and owners of Second Life, Linden Lab.

Edited to add a bit more info from the official Second Life Knowledge Base:

For educators.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Information-for-educators/ta-p/1364627

you can create accounts for them and have the home point set in your region.

Most viewers can be configured to log in to the home point, which would bring the avatars in world at that spot.

But unless, as stated, the accounts and region are set up specifically as such by Linden Lab, they will be able to go anywhere they want after that.

• 5 months later...

Do you or someone else out there know if this even works anymore? The registration API documentation hasn't been updated since 2011 and the "create user" portion on there says to send a last name as parameter which isn't even being used on the official second life registration form. 

Thanks for any help

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Actually if you set up your region with a registration API you can restrict your students to a private region. And restrict tp's and IM's too.  Read more here:

Rebootjac Chaplin wrote:

Do you or someone else out there know if this even works anymore? The registration API documentation hasn't been updated since 2011 and the "create user" portion on there says to send a last name as parameter which isn't even being used on the official second life registration form. 

Thanks for any help

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Actually if you set up your region with a registration API you can restrict your students to a private region. And restrict tp's and IM's too.  Read more here:

My guess would be that people who signed up after Surnames were no longer available would use the place holder "resident."  

But I'd also think this would be a question better answered by Support. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.