[Feature Proposal] Experience Keys, Windlight, and beyond!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is an idea from my old wishlist of things I'd like to see in SL that would greatly enhance the immersion of a place. I know this is a bit of a stretch, and probably out of the current scope of the project but...

Windlight is a seldom used, but powerful feature of Second Life.  Combined with experience keys it could have amazing potential to add a whole new level of immersion in Second Life.  I imagine controlling weather with fine-grain detail, vision impairments and enhancements, and gnarley and fast changing status effects.  The sky is (literally) the limit.  So I propose the following two functions that would at minimum require Experience Permissions to work.  The idea is that they change the viewers windlight setting for whatever avatar that has permissions, that this function is called for.

llChangeWindlightSettings(key avatar, string json_or_xml, integer override);

llChangeWindlightDayCycle(key avatar, string json_or_xml, integer override);

Since changing windlight settings is a very powerful option to be done by a script, it should require permissions of some sort, and this is why experience keys would be needed,

string json_or_xml could, and probably should instead be replaced with a nice sanitized list of windlight options.

integer override should attempt to prevent the user from altering the current windlight setting, at least until a relog.  Though not required, it would be nice.

Please discuss! :D

JIRA BUG-7116

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will there be a way to Opt Out of this Experience Keys?

I am not too excited about the Experience Keys.... I do not so many permission pop ups to annoy me and I do not mind them... I mean really what I feel like one day I may not feel like the next day when I visit that particular sim. In truth, it will cause me to visit and travel around even less in SL. Managing the Keys in my SL experience would be more of a pain in the ass that a help.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.