Sending messages to residents without logging in to SL

KyokiMaru

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if there is a way to IM a resident (or send any sort of message) without actually logging it to SL. 

I don't have the ability to log on through my IPhone or my IPad. I can only log it to this site. I have recieved an email from a resident after I have logged out of SL. So I know there's a way to recieve a message. I just want to be to send as well. Is this at all possible? 

Thanks for any input.

When you enable "Email me IMs when I'm offline", any IMs received while you are logged off will be sent to your Email address on file. You can reply to those Emails, but you MUST make sure you delete the original message before typing in your reply.

Most Email programs will automatically copy (or "quote") the text of the original Email message in the reply. If you leave that in the message and just add your reply text then your Email address will be revealed to the other person!!!

So, to reply to an Offline IM Email, just:

1. Hit "Reply" in your Email program or web site
  2. Select and Delete any and all text automatically added to the reply message
  3. Type in your reply, keeping it 1020 characters or less
  4. Send the reply

As for sending an IM to someone while you are logged off, that requires a specially scripted object. However the use of those is generally frowned upon and may very well get you AR'd and/or banned.

KyokiMaru wrote:

So basically, I can't initiate the contact unless I do something frowned upon. Thanks Darrius, I appreciate your input.

I really don't see the rationale but maybe soon there will be apps that are worthwhile to eliminate my problem.

You are welcome.

If the people you are initiating contact with have: 1) Previously been asked if they will allow it, 2) Agreed to such contact, and 3) Are able to quietly stop the contact without a lot of drama (such as a web-enabled unsubscribe option) then it should be quite easy to do. But folks tend to be VERY militant if they feel they are being spammed and most don't want any direct contact with the sender .. even to make the "spam" stop.

Be clear on why you need to start a conversation with people while you are offline, do so sparingly and always with a legitimate reason .. you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

BTW: There are a number of products available that provide an easily managed "Subscriber List" function, including sending out mass notices, gifts, updates, etc. If you need to do something like that (instead of picking out a single person to send an IM to) then you should check them out.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Wouldn't the profile feeds (accessible on the web via my.secondlife.com in a similar fashion to accessing these forums) provide the sort of communications capability required?

If I recall correctly, Email notification of posts to your Feed are off .. I think. It's been so long since I wandered around in that area of the SL web properties that I've forgotten whether it starts out turned on or off.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Wouldn't the profile feeds (accessible on the web via my.secondlife.com in a similar fashion to accessing these forums) provide the sort of communications capability required?

If I recall correctly, Email notification of posts to your Feed are off .. I think. It's been so long since I wandered around in that area of the SL web properties that I've forgotten whether it starts out turned on or off.

IM in the Feeds is turned off, because spammers were abusing the facility, but you can still post directly to feeds, as long as the individuals have not (like most of the high profile Lindens with responsibility for transparency of customer contact) set up the security firewall options to prevent communication.

But I don't think that the OP needs email, just a mechanism for passing messages without actually logging in to SL, which feed posting would achieve.

I know I have my personal preferences set so any messages are forwarded to my email when I'm not inworld. I can respond directly to the person from my email as long as it's within 5 days of receiving the message. The issue is (& it's only personal IMs) I can't initiate the messaging without logging in & unless I'm home, I ant do so. I'd just thought since its a friend, I would have other options to communicate. No worries. I really appreciate you taking time to explain this all as you understand it. Thank you, Darrius!

secondlife.com  use to enable us to send IM but someone stopped this facility a while back.

the drop down box is still there but it asks me for permission to 'launch an external application to handle secondlife : links' now, so basically you have to log in. 

It's a shame there are people that seem to enjoy screwing up others. I think they do it just to show their little friends that they can. I'll never understand that mentality. Ah well, c'est la vie! Thank you Llazarus, I appreciate the info.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.