upload button dissapears after ticking "skin weights"

ChrisB Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im using V3 to try and upload a rigged mesh created with Max_slav

as soon as I tick the "skin weights" check box the uplaod button vanishes !!!

infos:

Second Life 3.0.0 (238864) Aug 18 2011 13:05:38 (Second Life Release) also tried the latest BETA release with same result !

3DSMax 2011 (32 & 64 bit)

maxslav 1.4

tried both: open Collada & autodesk Collada

On a side note i tested both the above veiwers to upload the "simplebot.dae" and they worked fine

thanks in advance for any suggetions or insight

CB

I know about 3 situations when the upload button gets disabled:

Not all vertices have been associated to weight groups:

In that case the importer should report back an apropriate message.
But i suspect that it stopped to do that and silently disables the upload button.

Not all weight groups have been defined:

The SL skeleton consists of 26 bones of which 21 are essential (as of my understanding).  The weights for each bone are stored in a vertex group (weight group). The list of essential bones is (bone names identical to associated weight group names):

mWristRight
mWristLeft
mTorso
mShoulderRight
mShoulderLeft
mPelvis
mNeck
mKneeRight
mKneeLeft
mHipRight
mHipLeft
mHead
mElbowRight
mElbowLeft
mCollarRight
mCollarLeft
mChest
mAnkleRight
mAnkleLeft
mFootRight
mFootLeft

The remaining bones "non essential" bones:

mToeRight (weight group seems to be ignored )
mToeLeft (weight group seems to be ignored )
mEyeRight
mEyeLeft

If your dae file contains the 21 weight groups named identical to the essential bones in the list above, then the upload should always work. Recently the behaviour of the SL viewer changed from version to version. Hence many people give the advice to always include the weight groups for all essential bones. The groups can be empty! But the intended behaviour of the viewer is to accept dae files with any subset of the bones. For me the latest mesh development viewer works as expected, but the official mesh viewer wants to see the 21 essential bones.

The mesh is only partially UV-unwrapped:

In that case the importer should just import the mesh. But it was reported that it returns an error about "too few materials". I myself have not seen this behaviour but i have never tried to upload a partially unwrapped mesh. If that is your issue, then maybe it is worth a bug report ? The importer should report why it fails.

ChrisB Oh wrote:

Thanks Gaia ....I just tried out kristens veiwer and I can now upload with skin weights checked ..so it would seem there is a BUG in V3....

BUT now the mesh is HUGE and deformed ???...a little step closer tho ....

ill keep at it

Linden Lab should comment on this! We have been told a few weeks ago, that for mesh release 1 the 21 essential bones have to be supplied, even if they are not used. But in the mesh beta viewer this problem has been solved. I am not sure if the problem should also be solved in the official viewer or not.

Apparently Kirsten's viewer either uses a code from a time where the issue not yet appeared, or she uses the beta code for her viewer. I can not tell.

I only see that it makes major trouble because the V3 behaviour just makes not much sense regarding upload of rigged meshes (to me at least). And i can not understand why LL does not just fix these issues:

• missleading or even no error messages under certain situations during upload
  • Forcing 21 essential bones with rigged meshes

well... i do not understand everything in the world ;-) So i just use the mesh beta viewer and all is well for me. And my meshes apparently work in the main grid...

Ok ..A quick update !

The problem of the upload button disappearing seems to be caused by an incorrect scale setting during LOAD inside of the "maxslav" plugin by default it is set to 40 ...upon changing this to 1 I can now upload using v3 !!! and the size issues in my previous post are fixed also !!! There are still a few little discrepancies with the rigged mesh (like a little piece were its not supposed to etc) but its another step forward....

*I should mention tho even with the scale problem (set to 40 ) I could still upload the rig with Kristens latest build* << just FYI

Now to learn how to makes some mesh clothing

CB

• 4 weeks later...

I had this issue until just now. I discovered that the avatar.blend file i was using did not have vertex groups for mRightFoot and mLeftFoot. Adding them gave me the 21 vertex groups for my custom avatar mesh. I assumed since i'm using the avatar.blend that came with JASS that all the vertex groups were populating when I ran the bone weight copy scripts. I assumed wrong.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.