shoe lasts for mesh shoe creation

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

watched a great tutorial on making shoes on blendercookie. however the author said it was a great idea to start with shoe lasts and that you could get different basic shoe lasts. I google but I didnt find any "digital" forms of shoe lasts. only wooden one for cobblers. Where would you get shoe lasts to import into blender?

Shoe lasts serve basically 2 purposes:

First they define a physical foot shape, that is if the shoe last has been made for your specific foot, then any shoe created by using this last will fit to your foot. Of course the shoe industry uses a defined set of shoe sizes, thus for one shoe designs there probably will be as many shoe lasts as there are different shoe sizes.

Then they define a shoe shape as well. Hence any shoe made with a specific last is actually derived from the basic design of the last. And hence shoe lasts are typically a bit expensive as the design costs most.

So for 3D shoes this translates more or less to: "A shoe last -> design template for a 3D model". But that actually implies that you could create a basic shoe with your very special design and use that as your personal shoe last thanks to cut and paste plus maybe a bit of retopology and a lot of texture work.

Here is a boring example of how to make a shoe last in 3D. And somehow the tool looks very similar to ... well, look at it by yourself :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z1FGh1255Q

And this is a google find. That might be something for what you are looking:

http://www.footwear-cadcam.com/footwear-solution/index.asp?FromProduct=lastengineering

They offer a free download for academic usage. However they mention no prices so i suspect it is expensive.

• Like 1

if you watch this gentleman you see he refers to digital lasts and highly recommends them. He states there are basic lasts for many "styles" so you get a head start. Of course he does not say where to get these lasts even though people have asked.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/series/modeling-a-shoe/

The best shoes in SL don't model the SL avatar foot. They model the shoe or boot styles they are intended to emulate and the finished product merely fits the leg of the avatar while alpha clothing items mask out the foot for example.

tenly

First, thanks for giving it a go folks. but. I didnt ask how to make a shoe last and I didnt ask what a shoe last was.

I was specifically referring to EXISTING 3D shoe lasts whish the gentleman in the video I referenced was speaking about.

My sense was NOT that he was referring to external world wooden samples but that he had access to an existing 3D library which he recommends as a good place to start in conjunction with a "style". Unfortunately he has not answered my, nor anyone elses question regarding his remarks regarding same. so I thought MAYBE someone else had heard of this 3D DIGITAL library for DIGITAL designers.

I was wrong. Not a single person understood my question and I think perhaps the gentleman in the video may not have meant what many of us thought he intended.

Consider the question withdrawn.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.