number of faces affects LOD inworld? (example included)

Zed Avedon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey peeps^^...i cant figure out if this is normal...so Ive made a simple shape to demonstrate the issue to you.

The size of the shape in blender is the same size as it is inworld (height = from foot to knee)

As a one or two faced object i can see it clearly at 10m, whereas even at only 3m the 3 faced identical object turns into a triangle! The faces were marked in at exact 1/4 points of the 16 x 8 uv sphere (hoping that might help .. but alas ... no).

Can anyone explain this? .. can i do something to get past this limitation?

The pics i hope to include below:

1: shapes in blender / 2: upload settings / 3: inworld views

post blendertest.jpg

post uploadtest.jpg

post reztest.jpg

Hmm. I tried to look at the jira (VWR-27992) to see if anything was done, but I am told that is a permission violation, even though it was me that reported it. Can anyone tell me why that might be? Is this reappearance a regression? Or did it never go away?

To simplify, as described in the thread, it showed that meshes (simple cubes in the reproduction) with three or four (but not 2, 2, 5 or 6) materials showed anomalously low LOD switch distances after they were stretched along the z axis, but not along the y axis.

I'm wondering if this is the same bug as the one I reported a month or two ago ( https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-6287 ). If it is, please don't tell LL - we don't want to give them an excuse to close it down as a duplicate :matte-motes-wink:

What I noticed, was that an object's dimensions along the local z axis is completely ignored when the switch points are calculated. It never occured to me that the number of faces mattered but since you mention it, the example file I posted with the JIRA does indeed have three faces.

Ah yes. It must be the same. That explains why I couldn't reproduce it from your jira description - I only used one material. Maybe you could test it with the same model with different numbers of materials, and add the results in a comment. It will be easier to find the bug with that info. Still, I can't believe they didn't fix this after such a long time. Maybe it's not so easy after all. It is hard to imagine how the number of materials can alter the calculation of z dimension this way.

I have a possibly irrelevant observation. I am adding it because someone with a logical mind might see a detail in material usage:

I made objects with 3 materials and uploaded at default LOD setting, After resizing to 64 meters in game the objects don't  break down to triangles at distance until a third material texture is placed on the object.

I wondered about this, thinking that LOD must be triangulated from object width and has a penalty recalculation for materials displayed (in real time.) A two textures object at maximum build menu axis seems to create only one LOD zone.

Sorry for the OT, happy to hear more about LOD

Edit, I was also able to get one LOD zone along two axis if the combined size was great

Drongle McMahon wrote:

Hmm. I tried to look at the jira (VWR-27992) to see if anything was done, but I am told that is a permission violation, even though it was me that reported it. Can anyone tell me why that might be?

Looks like they moved that issue over to MAINT rather then cloning it and Residents cannot see MAINT issues.

However, VWR-27992 is archived here:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.