mesh bodies and appliers: How to save your wardrobe and use it too?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sooooo mesh bodies have been around for awhile but Ive recently become interested in them because they simply look better than the default avatar body. and by that Im referring to smooth edges on the body.

Im not sure why the default avatar looks so crappy in comparison but it does not photograph as well as a well made mesh body!!! I spend less time in photoshop with a mesh body than with the default.

So whats the problem you ask? In testing several mesh bodies I find I can not wear 99% of my purchases or creations.

I have a LOT of items in the form of tattoos, clothing layers made from the default avatar clothing layers in addition to a massive collection of mesh clothing. MOST of which can not be used while wearing a mesh body.

I see that some bodies put out appliers that allow skins to be added to the HUD or makeup or tattoos for example to the mesh. But none of these, as far as I can tell, allow me to add my own things to the mesh body.

what to do? Im asking as a creator AND as someone who has tons of things I do not want to give up for a mesh body.

It seems to me though, that the best mesh bodies are fitmesh? meaning I was able to use my own shape with it...not at all restricted to the body that comes with it...YEAH!!!! so...you would think I could still wear my mesh clothing. not usually. but sometimes. but the biggest problem is that mesh body showing through my mesh clothing because the mesh bodies alpha masks dont quite fit the areas I need to hide. But it works enough that I could live with it. not when it comes to my tattoos and default "clothing" layers.

how do I "apply" those things to the mesh body? Surely there is a generic applier system a non-creator could use to add clothing over a mesh body? or do I just get the applier system from the mesh body creator?

I know Im being a noob here but I dont know enough to know what Im supposed to be looking for or even if what I want can be done.

To be specific here are a couple of examples. I have a male avi that I use for photos...he has a lot of hair tattoos, beards, chest, designs...then there is the female I use for photos and she has makeup, head/hair tattoos, undies in mesh and default clothing.

how do I "apply" these to the new mesh body. Im looking at maitreya for the female and adam from absolut creations. Both beautifully made BTW.

Ive seen reference to "omega" system...which originally I thought was mesh body company...but now seems to be a system one can use IF the mesh body creator is compatible with it. just when I felt like Id figured it all out...thanks for your time and please note my interest IS as a customer and as a creator so responses across both bows totally appreciated.

Tenly wrote:

Sooooo mesh bodies have been around for awhile but Ive recently become interested in them because they simply look better than the default avatar body. and by that Im referring to smooth edges on the body. Im not sure why the default avatar looks so crappy in comparison

Content in Second Life and other 3D environments will always be a compromise between lag and visual quality. Mesh bodies are a lot more laggy than the default avatar and back in the early days of SL it simply wouldn't have been possible to use avatars as detailed as that. Even today mesh bodies are pushing the limit and if you care about how others see your avtar too, you should be a bit careful with where you use your mesh body.

Tenly wrote:

but it does not photograph as well as a well made mesh body!!!

It doesn't look quite as good inworld either although the difference is much less noticeable there than in a carefully edited photo.

Tenly wrote:

So whats the problem you ask? In testing several mesh bodies I find I can not wear 99% of my purchases or creations.

That's right. You need a brand new wardrobe for your mesh body.

Tenly wrote:

Surely there is a generic applier system a non-creator could use to add clothing over a mesh body? or do I just get the applier system from the mesh body creator?

Ive seen reference to "omega" system...which originally I thought was mesh body company...but now seems to be a system one can use IF the mesh body creator is compatible with it. just when I felt like Id figured it all out..

You got that right, yes. The Omega system is a universal appleir system that works with most mesh bodies and body parts. Not all though and you better be careful to stay away from the ones that don't support Omega.

You still can't use most of your old system clothes, tattoos and skins though. If they didn't come with appliers you need to create ones yourself and for that you need the UUIDs of the textures used.

Mesh clothes may or may not work. Mesh bodies does not just smooth out the avatar shape, they also alter it a bit, enough that some mesh clothes simply won't fit anymore. There are also limits to how precise you can alpha mask a mesh body. With a system body you can make an alpha latyer that hides exactly the parts of the body you need to hide. With a mesh body you're stuck with a premade pattern of "fields" that can be shown or hidden and there's no guarantee they will fit a specific piece of mesh clothing.

I appreciate your time but you just told me everything I said.

What I want to know is how to apply my things using an applier, and/or if thats possible? If I read between the lines the answer is yes?

I believe you said something that might help me ask a better formed question, which was, and Ill paraphrase, you have to have the clothing UUID? Or the UUID for the texture used to create the clothing item? is that correct?

so, theoretically, if the items are full perm, or I made them myself..which I do a lot of for my own use...I would have the textures, and could then use the OMega applier? to incorporate? or other appliers which are related to the particular mesh body?

Is there some reference material that details this?

I guess thats what I am looking for because when I google I get tons of, excuse my american, "crap" that does not tell me anything at all.

And lastly, I didnt experience any severe lag when wearing the mesh body as Id thought I might. In fact it was pretty awesome all the way around. Im still looking at mesh bodies ... even though I love the two I found yesterday, because I need to know what Im losing vs what I merely need to convert.

UUIDs...that was a very helpful tidbit. Thank you!

Chin Rey answered you perfectly.

From a fashion standpoint, you just toss a lot of stuff. Boots will often still work,  Many things with long sleeves, many pants. Your mesh body depending on the one you pick will alter the shape of your body even if you use the exact same shape. So some tweaking there will be needed and things you have saved in one size (often what I do to save on inventory space) will often not fit.

If you bought things with a redelivery terminal then you might be able to get another size that way.

You WILL be starting over to a big degree. I got my Lara body a year ago and then there were only a few shoes that fit -- all were Slink back then. Now happily I have a nice wardrobe of heels and sandals and such.

Note too that note all tattoos with appliers will work "easily" with all bodies. Omega system requires a second part so I typically opt for things specificially made for my body.

It is pretty complex -- even just from the fashion perspective :D.  Good luck.

Pay PARTICULAR attention to the alpha masks on various bodies. You may find that one works with more of your clothes than another. They are NOT the same.

Tenly wrote:

I believe you said something that might help me ask a better formed question, which was, and Ill paraphrase, you have to have the clothing UUID? Or the UUID for the texture used to create the clothing item?

The UUID for the texture used for creating them, yes.

Tenly wrote:

if the items are full perm, or I made them myself..which I do a lot of for my own use...I would have the textures, and could then use the OMega applier? to incorporate?

If you made the clothes yourself and have kept a copy of the texture in your inventory, you can easily make your own appliers. You need to buy a developer kit, basically a set of modifiable appliers, but the Omega dev kit is so cheap that shouldn't make any difference.

Full perm clothes is a different issue though. There is no legal way to get the UUID of a texture from any item unless you have a full perm copy of the actual texture in your inventory. It doesn't matter if the item is full perm or not. It doesn't even matter if you made the texture yourself or not. The only thing that matters is do you have a full perm copy of the texture in your inventory? If you do, you can easily copy its UUID, if you don't, you can't.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.