When is Mesh coming to the Main Grid?

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We are now 5 months into open beta testing on the beta grid. When can we be expected to see mesh on the Main Grid?

Personally, as a merchant, I have stopped doing any work on mesh, as I actually need to make money on things that I make. I can't just keep creating things that I have no clue when I can sell them.:smileysurprised:

The consistent answer by the Linden staff has been "when it's ready".  Given that the last several months I have uploaded numerous mesh models with no problems, and there were not many reports of bugs by other people, I think the real answer is something else.  The two things I can think of are:

* They are waiting till enough residents are running V2 based viewers, so that they will actually see the mesh objects, and not un-rezzed default prims.

* They are testing a "content removal" system, which was mentioned by Stroker Serpentine after settlement of his lawsuit about lack of such for stolen content.  Many people have pointed out that import of existing, unlicensed, 3D models would expose Linden Lab to risks.  A prompt takedown system (that actually works) would let them join how the rest of the web deals with such things, but it's not ready yet.

If a Linden staff member can supply a better explanation, like specific unfinished code issues or other tasks that need to be completed before release, feel free to correct me.  The only one I know of is setting the upload price, which could be set in a day if they really wanted to.

Give it a few days - if you don't see anything give Charlar a poke. The discussion areas were shut down in prep for the Lithium forums, so no additions were made during that time.

With that said, I would like to know what happened nearer the end of this past meeting, since it was ended with no explanation, with some agenda items left unanswered.

Yes, I agree with Aki. About ten minutes before the hour was up, the Lindens present simply stopped speaking and the agenda had not been completed. They did respond to a request asking if the Lindens were dead, one saying "not quite," and when I emoted poking them with a stick, another emoted twitching, so we know that their connection was live and that they were indeed still present. When the hour was up, one by one they said goodbye and left with no explanation.

I feel that this was rude. We are customers, some of us investing a large amount of real money each month into SL (I own two private island estates). We have invested a lot of our time to learn to create mesh and to test mesh on the beta grid. 

If the issue was people straying from the agenda or whatever, it should have been dealt with. A simple "Let's get back to the agenda and we will answer other questions after if there is time" would have sufficed.

We are not a rude or particularly difficult group to deal with. We deserved more courtesy than that. I won't ask for an apology. I would just like for there to be no similar repeat performance in the future.

I do feel we are getting closer to mesh release. At the beginning of the meeting, they said that their priority now is merging mesh code with the code of the main viewer and testing for bugs and conflicts in that process. That to me sounds promising.

Don't you love how a company can say 1 thing and do completely the opposite?

Well, they are only hurting themselves. If I knew when mesh would be here, I would time our big release with the release of mesh and spend a bundle on advertising. As it is now, screw mesh, we have already created sculpty objects instead, and totally focused there, instead of waiting for something that seriously could go on forever.

See, this is what frustrates me. LL thinks whatever they do is some kind of big deal, when in reality it means nothing at all. They can roll out mesh with huge fanfare, but they won't benefit at all if the merchants are blindsided and don't pick up the ball and run with it. Wake up LL!! You are not Ubisoft or Blizzard. It just does not work the same way.

Actually the chat log was posted to the locked forum.   I read it there a day or 2 ago.   It was the only new post.   Being "locked" wouldn't stop a Linden from posting there, would it?

It isn't in the archives,  presumably because that snapshot was taken before 2/28.

Hi folks!

I know, it's been forever since I've come to office hours and some of you may think I'm dead. I'm not! I'm hard at work making your meshes work without causing problems for our physics engine (among other things).

I can't give you the answer you want--a release date for mesh. But I can help a little by letting you know that there are concrete dev issues remaining.

For example, you may notice that in some cases when you enter a mesh region, particularly one that's been restarted recently, you can't move about as you would expect. In fact, the collision geometry for many meshes is a giant box with dimensions equal to the mesh's scale! Craziness. Huseby Linden and I have recently solved this problem but the solution is far more complex than you'd think and it will be at least a couple weeks before we can deploy it to Aditi. Other remaining issues on my plate include physics cost computation and proper upload validation.

It's great to hear that you aren't hitting many mesh upload bugs. Rest assured that we are continuing to actively develop mesh as a feature and that we are probably even more eager than you to see it deployed to the Main Grid. :)

Cheers,

Falcon

Vivienne Daguerre wrote:

Yes, I agree with Aki. About ten minutes before the hour was up, the Lindens present simply stopped speaking and the agenda had not been completed. They did respond to a request asking if the Lindens were dead, one saying "not quite," and when I emoted poking them with a stick, another emoted twitching, so we know that their connection was live and that they were indeed still present. When the hour was up, one by one they said goodbye and left with no explanation.

I feel that this was rude. We are customers, some of us investing a large amount of real money each month into SL (I own two private island estates). We have invested a lot of our time to learn to create mesh and to test mesh on the beta grid. 

If the issue was people straying from the agenda or whatever, it should have been dealt with. A simple "Let's get back to the agenda and we will answer other questions after if there is time" would have sufficed.

We are not a rude or particularly difficult group to deal with. We deserved more courtesy than that. I won't ask for an apology. I would just like for there to be no similar repeat performance in the future.

I do feel we are getting closer to mesh release. At the beginning of the meeting, they said that their priority now is merging mesh code with the code of the main viewer and testing for bugs and conflicts in that process. That to me sounds promising.

In fairness, I did later find out that Mesh HQ 4 had indeed stealth-crashed, even though the lot of us could still see the sim and people who were sitting on it.

With that said, that comprised of Charlar, Nyx and Oskar, and the least that could be done by the remaining Lindens would have been to say the sim was having connection issues and that the remaining agenda items were to be held over until next time. For them to disappear without any reason or explanation was quite disappointing.

Thanks for that information Falcon.

As for the last mesh meeting, I found the ending pretty rude/strange as well. I still don't understand what happened there. But anyway, I also thought that it sounded like they were making serious progress in bringing mesh to the main grid since they are merging code.

Falcon Linden wrote:

Hi folks!

I know, it's been forever since I've come to office hours and some of you may think I'm dead. I'm not! I'm hard at work making your meshes work without causing problems for our physics engine (among other things).

I can't give you the answer you want--a release date for mesh. But I can help a little by letting you know that there are concrete dev issues remaining.

For example, you may notice that in some cases when you enter a mesh region, particularly one that's been restarted recently, you can't move about as you would expect. In fact, the collision geometry for many meshes is a giant box with dimensions equal to the mesh's scale! Craziness. Huseby Linden and I have recently solved this problem but the solution is far more complex than you'd think and it will be at least a couple weeks before we can deploy it to Aditi. Other remaining issues on
my
plate include physics cost computation and proper upload validation.

It's great to hear that you aren't hitting many mesh upload bugs. Rest assured that we are continuing to actively develop mesh as a feature and that we are probably even more eager than you to see it deployed to the Main Grid.
:)

Cheers,

Falcon

Well, I appreciate the info and the gesture. Sorry, if we don't all follow the dev pages or even want to, but we do have our own projects to work on. How about, instead of a meeting, you just give us a report? And I don't think it is unreasonable at all to tell us if it will be done in 2 months. This gives us a chance to actually make good decisions, instead of making decisions completely in the dark.

Even though your comment was refreshing to many of us, All we really know it that it won't be done in 2 weeks, maybe a month. Heck, just tell us when it won't be done. lol

Hey guys ive done some research and i found the forumula to calculate the release date of all LL dates. its pretty simple.

for intance: a linden says "ready in about 2weeks time or more"

here is the formula: 2*4+2=10weeks abouts is the actual read date :D

obviously this is a joke but i found it funny anyways lol. but usually when ll says 2weeks its more likely to be atleast the double or more :P anyways thanks linden labs for even working on mesh, its going to be epic and a major improvement to second life :D i cant wait until release! ^^

Rufus Darkfold wrote:

Actually the chat log was posted to the locked forum.   I read it there a day or 2 ago.   It was the only new post.   Being "locked" wouldn't stop a Linden from posting there, would it?

It isn't in the archives,  presumably because that snapshot was taken before 2/28.

Can you post a link? I always like to read the mesh office hours since I generally can't make it there.

Ah..nevermind I found it. For anyone who wants to read the mesh forum archive:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/bd-p/2255

Although it looks like the office hours for 2/28 aren't there that I can see.

This mesh development is some of the most transparent and user inclusive development cycles that I have seen from LL. So I will not be one of those harassing LL about when will it be done but will instead thank them for their hard work in getting this done.

Good to hear something :)

And i think its indeed a good thing LL looks at copyright.  Cause I cant help to think a lot of people goign to ask a lot of linden for a however so good looking object,  while its a simple steal or even if its a free mesh.  I simply hope people will come up with own made meshes

For that reason i hope some of you out there could make a compilation of all license free meshes that can be found on the internet and make them, freebies on the market place for those who are not experienced in building,  and provide those full perm.  just to prevent people to be robbed of their lindens for a mesh which is actually free to start with.

I've been on the betagrid and seen some very orignal items made already,  I just hope they primcosts will be fixed also.

Well still waiting patiently for the day mesh arrives to the main grid.

Thanks for  the update.

peace,

Indeed great to know things are still rolling down in linden land.

I also like to point out the importance of content protection. I don't think i have to elaborate on this for most of you are content creators your self and even so likely have had to deal with content theft yourself.

Copybots have never the main problem. content in SL today can and will remain to be stolen.
How ever mesh does make a change in all this but also reveals several other problems that may cause a lot more damage then all the  years of copy botting and GL intercepting combined.

I would be sad to see SL fall because of this. mesh opens up enough possibility for me to seriously over thing AGAIN to draw real life company's back in to SL and combine the real with the virtual, but at what cost ? I do know that linden would embrace the business opportunity's at hand if such opportunity would in fact evolve.

Lets leave it at that for now. Not to drift to far from the original topic I notices while i have been using the beta viewer on the main grid i noticed an update today that removed the option to log on to public beta but i have not been able to find the reason behind this. Does this mean open beta is closed ? Is that a sign of a near future release"letting the excited boy inside talk"
I stopped creating content for the main grid and will eventually result in lost of finances as it does for other people posting the same concerns and i would like a conclusive answer to the question, is it still worth to create new content on the main grid as it is now. The best way for LL to answer this would be to give us more transparency on there timeline.
For all i care an insight of the (to do list) miles stones, would for me be sufficient to calculate a time window of which i will be able to determine if it's still worth it to me to create new content for retailers. Please Lindens do be a little bit more transparent on you dev progress.

I do hope very much that the Lindens will provide a progress report for Mesh. I don't care if LL can't provide a release date, that is fine! Completely fine! Just put together a check list of current issues and update it regularly as they get fixed/checked off.

This would help the community and yourself in MANY ways. For one, it would tell those of us on the beta grid what needs more testing. It would allow programmers outside of LL to possibly take a look at helping to provide solutions to the problems (after all two heads are better than one). And it would give the general populace an idea of how close mesh is to hitting live so we can start ramping up for it when it's time.

Lets not forget the most important of all of these though, it would honor Linden Labs promise of more open communication with the community.

Because you can't sit there and tell me lindens don't have an in-house priority list of issues to be resolved. So not every department has the full list, just a list specific to their particular area. That doesn't mean there's not a 'community manager' somewhere out there that can pull together that list and post it nice and pretty on the blog for us and update it once a week as things get completed :)

• 4 weeks later...

When I look at Second Life in its current state I feel like I am trapped in 1999, in terms of gaming industry vs. SL.

There are many arguements and venues to my last statement, but merely stating how I feel, and it is a bit depressing.

I feel Mesh is Second Lifes best last chance atm to catch up with the rest of the industry and become a more respectable platform where the rest of the gaming and 3D world communities would stop scoffing at SL as " you mean that place where kids and old people go to have sex together?".

Sure mesh won't change what people do in sl, but it sure would make it more appealing, and revive sl's sculpt saturated economy even if only for a while.

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.