What does Missing Required Level of Detail mean?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dismantled the sofa into separate meshes. Over half of them get the error when I load each individually.

I Googled and only came up with a bunch of posts from this forum. No answers. No Guide to Error messages. I don't know what to do to get some kind of guidance or information from LL. I made a JIRA but I would be very surprised if anyone at LL looked at it. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28033

a couple of possibilities:

you left out the medium, low, etc..  LOD  level.  Apparently SL doesn't like not  having an LOD defined.

your couch had 3 textures/materials at high but you only had 2 assigned at lower levels.  SL needs those same three assigned throughout the lower levels.

There is supposed to be a log file that stores these errors try looking for it and see if you don't get more info about the error.

Perhaps this is the problem...

By default, when you re-upload a file with the same filename, the uploader will use an  ".slm" file, stored on your machine, to fill in many of the details, including the low-LOD meshes. If you have increased the number of separate meshes in the main file, then there will be no equivalent of the additional meshes in the .slm file and you will receive that error. In a single case, you can work around this by finding and deleting the .slm file (it has the same name and location as the main file, but with .slm instead of .dae).

For a more lasting solution, you can turn off the slm mechanism in the viewer choosing "Show Debug Parameters" from the Advanced menu, typing MeshImportUseSLM in the box that appears, and setting the value to FALSE. This is a sticky setting that will last until you do a new install. I always turn it off because I find the slm mechanism to be more trouible than it's worth. It's supposed to save you a little typing and clicking, which is negligible compared to the time taken to edit your meshes anyway.

• Like 1

Thank you Drongle and Kwakkelde.  I have discovered what the problem is and, I believe, the definitive fix.

The problem is that the meshes in Blender get corrupted. It has happened to me before and I spent much longer figuring out that, no, it was not me, it was Blender.  I won't go into all the details of how I determined through exporting and importing into various programs in different formats, but the fix is:'

1. Add a new cube mesh.

2. Apply the data from the corrupted mesh to the new cube mesh.

Here are the instructions:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?189696-One-mesh-won-t-render-%28noob-issue-%29-...-%28

WHEN AND IF LL EVER GETS AROUND TO EXPLAINING ERROR MESSAGES AND GIVING CLUES WHAT TO DO ABOUT THEM, THIS SHOULD BE NEAR THE TOP OF THE LIST.

• Like 1

I guess we were talking about two different things then...thought you made a box in blender, added the other object that was corrupted to it then removed the box again..that will reset some weirdness in the original object (such as a negative volume as a result of mirroring or negative scaling) ... nvm:)

Since you apparantly didn't find a satisfying solution...can you post the error(s) from the log?

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this thread... I was just getting a similiar thing exporting from 3ds Max.  I had an object exported from Revit, cleaned it up in Max, and then imported it.  Had to use Tools->RexetXForm, then Collapsed it. That made SL happy.

I had checked the log as mentioned above for more details, but it only had listed the framerate recently. Nothing related to the uplad.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Okay scratch that, as far a definitive. It will work but apparently if you do any editing at all, the mesh becomes corrupted again.

I know this is old, but I'll mention this anyways. Of course, I have no clue what might be wrong, but 1 way to kind of reset everything, would be to save the mesh as an OBJ. You can then reimport the OBJ, and the mesh will be devoid of any of the artifacts from previous editing.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I was having the same issue, "Missing Required Level of Detail". I was used to upload mesh and even complex riged models into sl, someday, this  weird mensage appears on the upload window. After many tests I realize the problem was not on my model but on the name of the folder my model was when i converted it to collada. The folder name had a '#' characther, i changed the folder name and the upload works again pretty good.

• 4 years later...

IME in Firestorm if the problem is having missing textured faces, it tells you that specifically; it's a different error from missing level of detail. I get the texture error sometimes on low or very low LODs when I forget to make a triangle of the ones I didn't otherwise need in L/VL - oops.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.