Was mesh disabled on RC LeTigre?

Mylar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I logged in to my home region this morning after working on a mesh project over on aditi, and found I now have boxes where my meshes were at, and I'm no longer able to upload meshes. I checked the release notes, and the last upgrade just says it was a security fix (There are no release notes on the current version). I went to a mesh sandbox and everything works fine there. Did LL take my meshes away? 

Sorry for the confusion: LeTigre Release Channel purpose is to test fixes before rolling them to the greater grid.

As such, you should expect that things may change. Your meshes are unchanged, and should be fine. Megaprims will be fine as long as you don't rescale them. 

Since mesh is not officially released, this is not a regression.

cheers, 

Charlar

oh no, so sorry.

It will return; it might be in a week, or not be for a couple weeks. If you're in the position that your build isn't going to render, I believe you can ask to be moved to Magnum (which will be testing mesh enabled until full release).

You'd need to contact Oskar Linden for information about that (and no promises that he can do anything about it).

Once ti's back up on mesh, I'd like to see your place, can you send me a slurl?

Charlar

so whats the problem ?  is the system unsustainable ?...if there is no problem why remove the facility and disrupt the builds/meshes of sl users ?  Im not quite in the same position as the person with the mesh buids -Im using the 64 m prim feature and was enjoying a new burst of interest in what a become a static inworld building system ( but here is not the place for arguments about what those of us who pay a massive tier expect) However I was working hard on a space station of which I can no longer edit the majority of  pieces...its all very well saying I was using - and relying - on a system that was being tested - no one actually pointed out that the 64 m prim limit would be introduced only to be removed a very short while later.

After enjoying the first new feature to an otherwise static and unchanging INWORLD building system Im extremely disappointed that after only few days it seems Linden labs is either unable to maintain or support this feature.

If you are on a Release Channel, you must be aware that we will use it to test fixes. The mesh release was being tested on LT, but then we needed to test a parallel code branch that had an important fix. That branch did not contain the mesh code. 

The upside is that you get new code faster, the downside is we may change it suddenly in order to test things.

If you are uncomfortable with your region being on a release channel, or don't understand release channels, please contact Oskar Linden. 

Charlar

I had a word with oskar linden and got the same 'lecture'....in effect dont take any new feature for granted... when I spoke to oskar prior to the system being operated in le tigre there was no mention at all that it may be a short term measure .. I assumed naturally that once in force that would be the end of story. I was told Id need a new viewer but I was already prepared for that. I had no idea I was on a release channel, I simply asked for our home sim (mainland) to be made mesh enabled and it was. No one said anything about testing, release channels nor was it suggested that a new feature which i was extremely excited about was possibly only a temporary measure.

I asked for our region to be moved to magnum yesterday I got the feeling that oskar wasn't entirely confident it could be done.....nor when he would be able to do it - only that requests would be taken in order. Of course some notification the 64 metre was to be taken away might have been helpful along with an explanation as to why...but no. The first I noticed was when pieces of my build started to snap back to 10 metres... I only found out by enquiring within a group.

I was pretty annoyed to log on and start working on a rather large build I was converting to the larger prims, I lost a few pieces before I realized what happened. There were RC's that did not have mesh on them for testing and those should have been used. Yanking the mesh/64 suddenly without a word is offensive. I would appreciate if at least 64m prims were turned back on as those are far more important at the moment. I am still learning how to create mesh in Sketchup so can do without it for now.

This change has pretty much brought any work I can do to a halt until at least 64m prims are returned to Le Tigra.

Yes, it was annoying to have the feature yanked without warning. Yes, there could have been some fore warning (all I ever heard was that mesh was on 30% of the grid and being rolled out). I really didn't understand what being on a RC server means, it's just what I happen to be on.

That said, it's only a couple weeks till LL plans to roll it out to the whole grid. I can wait that long. I have a todo list as long as my arm, so it's not like I'm going to be sitting around all that time. So I just yanked out all my mesh items and went back to sculpties for the time being.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.