Video Tutorial on Retopology in Blender

Masami Kuramoto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Blender Retopology Tutorial/Workflow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqPZnD_3lA

In my opinion one of the best video tutorials on retopology in Blender. This is the stuff you need to know if you want to quickly make multiple LODs from organic high-poly models while maintaining a proper edge flow (which is important for animation). Use this instead of the Decimate modifier.

• Like 4

Nice tutorial. The process is similar in concept to what I am experimenting with in 3DCoat - adding mesh topology to voxel sculpts, as well as working in reverse (UV-mapped SL mesh converted to a base voxel for further sculpting). This kind of thing is ideal for baking out highly detailed AO and faked specular textures (adding the illusion of more detail than is really there in geometry - and should be handy for the eventual materials project LL are working towards).

I would imagine this kind of thing is also achieveable in Blender via the retopology method shown in this tutorial.

Fun stuff! :matte-motes-smile:

Thanks for posting this Masami ^^

It's strange how you watch a tutorial on a specific topic, but end up learning about something else. Eons ago, when I use to use 3DS Max, it had this feature that let you store various vertex positions. I used that feature a great deal and missed it. The tutorial offered up an excellent alternative method (storing vertex positions in vertex groups) that I somehow never considered before. I could just kiss that speaker for mentioning that. It will really save me some time in the future.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.