Using SL UV on a mesh body.

Xylphae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf16e9f9r5k6mqi/Phae_Body.jpg?dl=0

As anyone can see I have a mesh body in the works.  I need to line it up with the SL avatar and then unwrap , rig.. all that good stuff. I posted this to show how serious I am with this and not just putting this up for no reason at all :).

- Rigging and weight.. tutorials.. check.

- Importing tutorials.. check

Unwrapping to SL UV ( For Omega appliers possibly)  ?   How does one do this?

I feels stupid because I know how to unwrap.. yet  for it to match the SL UV ?  How does one accomplish this so it all lines up correctly and skins can be applied easily to the avatar? 

I know most people make clothing and such, but anything on mesh bodies are hard to come by. I also know that creating tights.. wet suits.. latex suits in mesh is similar, but Im still confused.

Do I have to try and line it up myself?  Is there a tutorial?   Thanks in advance

- a noob to SL creation

I don't know of any tutorials offhand but essentially you just plot your seams to match the SL avi and unwrap - then lineup the unwraped pieces with a copy of the SL UV map.   It's not particularly hard - it can be time consuming, but this is one area where the design of the SL map is actually fairly easy to work with.

I won't be of much help, since I don't use Maya. However, I do use Autodesk products and I know second hand (luckily not first!) that they actively search and are not afraid to write you a hefty bill for using illegal or student software. I'm not talking about hundreds or even a couple of thousand dollars, I mean tens of thousands. So my advice would be to stop using your student version for SL or at least, so you'll be somewhat safer, to remove or adjust your picture.

(This is assuming you don't have explicit permission from Autodesk to use your version for educational purposes in SL.)

Never tried it, but in 3ds Max I'd try to match the seams as close as possible, then move all (or alternating) the UV vertices on the seams into the corresponding SL avatar position. I'd probably add some key points such as the nipples or belly button. all those now corresponding vertices I'd then pin. A quick peel will fill in the rest. If the results aren't satisfying, I'd pin some more vertices into position and peel again.

Here's the quick workflow on a simple model:

UV Match_01.png

The top left is the target (you can use the SL templates for this). The bottom right is the UV of the new model.

UV Match_02.png

Move all verts to the correct position.

UV Match_03.png

Pin them into position. (I'm sure Maya has a function for that somewhere)

UV Match_04.png

Hit Quick peel (again I am sure Maya has something similar)

UV Match_05.png

The (wonderful :) ) model (with red lines) showing the texture (light grey/white)

And now someone is going to post something much easier/fancier/faster of course...

Okay,  that helps and I understand how to line up the UV verts and such, but thanks for the how to. 

Also,  no worries about the warning of selling  products with a student version.  I didn't mention anywhere about selling this product.. just making it  and placing it in SL to use for my self :).  

Thanks for the help!

Xylphae wrote:

Also,  no worries about the warning of selling  products with a student version.  I didn't mention anywhere about selling this product.. just making it  and placing it in SL to use for my self
:)

That really doesn't change anything since you agreed to the following part in the Terms of Service:

Except as otherwise described in any Additional Terms (such as a contest’s official rules) which will govern the submission of your User Content, you hereby grant to Linden Lab, and you agree to grant to Linden Lab, the non-exclusive, unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and cost-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, modify, display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and sell, re-sell or sublicense (through multiple levels)(with respect to Second Life, Inworld or otherwise on the Service as permitted by you through your interactions with the Service), and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any media, software, formula, or medium now known or hereafter developed, and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed, and to advertise, market, and promote the same. You agree that the license includes the right to copy, analyze and use any of your Content as Linden Lab may deem necessary or desirable for purposes of debugging, testing, or providing support or development services in connection with the Service and future improvements to the Service. The license granted in this Section 2.3 is referred to as the "Service Content License."

In other words, you grant Linden Lab rights to use your content commercially. Which is something you're not allowed to do.

Maybe you can use openSim, I don't know their TOS.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.