Using Blender to rig on a skeleton made in Maya.

Valentine Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

i recently started to make rigged mesh clothes for a specific mesh body.

The problem is that the body comes with a dummy and a skeleton made in Maya, in a .dae file.

The body maker already informed me that importing the dummy into Blender will break the rigging and indeed when i try to rig something on that skeleton, the result is really messed up.

The "partial" solution that i found is to only use the dummy as a shape guide for my clothes and to transfer the weights (using the data transfer modifier) from it to my mesh, then open a new Blender file with the SL standard skeleton and body, copy paste my mesh clothes there and parent the mesh with the skeleton selecting the "With empty groups" option, to keep the previously transferred weights.

Here is where the problem shows up: when i upload the mesh, it gets slightly bigger and repositioned. I already tried to resize and move the skeletons to make them have the same scale and position, but still i get a scale way different from what i see in Blender.

Am i trying to do something impossible since the skeleton was made in Maya? Does it have to do with the different units of measure that the programs use? Or maybe even if i resize/move the skeletons i can't make them have the same position/scale? Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

the sl skeleton collision bones are wighted to a specific wieght.... you would have to reset the skeleton back to the sl wieghts and update weight paint(if needed)...... you can do alternate bind poses but if the numbers dont match up when you upload it you will get wierd deformaties

go to wiki and get the skeleton file ... comes in a blend , dea, ma, and fbx .... make sure reset back to the orignal skeleton csause all sl avas are based on that

if that helps

in maya you can make a skeleton ...... using ik ect..... the skeleton you would want to update to is the actual second life skeleton

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh

go to the download links in tab and download the zip.....

re rigg your clothing or attactment ... using that ... there are many tutorials on rigging and avastar is good to use if you use blender ..... I use maya..... but lot is the same between the two

you can rigg to a specific bind pose then convert it back if nessary ...... but your rigg should match up to the wieghts from the sl one collision will be 1.032, 0.98, 0.32 ((example)) mpelvis is the root all classic bones will be mpelvis mlowerback ect..... if you were doing fitted aka collision or liquid mesh you would be rigging and binding to collision bones PELVIS, BUTT, ....... ect

if your pose isnt in a t pose can set the pose and revert to tpose freeze transformation and delete history fix the minor stuff rebind and copy wieghts ...... there are many different things could do

Rigging on the SL skeleton is what i've been doing so far, after transferring the weights from the dummy (Not the SL dummy but the custom one). Recently i also tried to replace the damaged skeleton with the SL one and reweight the custom dummy with the SL skeleton's weights (Using automatic weights), but when i rig my clothes on the new dummy with the replaced skeleton, the result is even worse than before.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.