Uploading Collada files

Jacki Silverfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm experimenting with the program AC3D which does mesh and can save files in the .dae format. My question is, How do I get this in SL? If someone could explain I'd be most appreciative.

I'm using Phoenix. PLease let me know if you need more info as I'm not sure what is needed.

Newb to mesh,

Jacki

Thank you Luc!

I did find the Wiki info and have loaded the viewer. Probably should have looked for the wiki before posting LOL. I went there and found a place that I think will let me rezz something. It seams now when I open the folder with the sample mesh in it my computer doesn't show the .dae files just .png .tga. .jpg etc. :(

I'll keep trying! Still would love words of advice!

Newb Mesher

Jacki

I recommend using the latest Development Snapshot link. The other viewers are from February and a lot has changed since then. Then you must log on to the Aditi grid (tell the viewer to show grid choice at logon in preferences) and when you get there you must go to one of the Mesh Sandbox regions (look up mesh in the world map), which are the only ones that can deal with and rez mesh assets. Then you will find the menu option Build/Upload/Model and .../Model Wizard. I have hardly used the wizard because of crashes and failure to display a preview, so I definitely recommend the former, "Advanced" Model uploader. When you open the Advanced uploader, it will give you an OS dialog to find and open your .dae file. The wiki has information on how to proceed from there. It sounds as if you are opening the image upload instead of the model upload. That has all those image file extensions.

• Like 2

I think so. It's been that way since Runitai asked us to start using these versions that are merging mesh into the main branch (with mesh disabled there but enabled here, I guess). The old forum permalink that I used to use goes to this new place too now. I am using 227422 from there. They are called "Development" instead of "Project Mesh" and install (by default) into a different directory, so you can have both. (We are supposed to look on Agni for differences from the main beta viewer. I have four viewers now; main, beta, project mesh, development.) Of course they are not guaranteed to be stable or fully functional. Also, sadly, there are no direct links to the older versions now.

PS - I see there is now a link ro Previous build, so maybe we can follow that chain....good.

Great! Thanks. I have to have another look and download an uploaded version.

I did see something about the mesh viewer being merged with trunk and the focus being on 'regular' bugs atm, but I haven't done anything mesh related in SL since before these changes, so I have a really old version on my system.

I have to get back into it soon. Get some SL related practice.

- Luc -

Mesh will change this week. Which day is unknown. The data format is changing. Read the latest on mesh here: http://blog.nalates.net/

A new article on mesh will publish at 6PM SLT today.

At the link given for the viewer there is more than one viewer for the Mesh Project. You are looking for a nightly build to get the latest fixes and changes. The development or snapshot viewer will do. These are pre-beta viewers so you may have problems. If so, try tomorrows viewer or get a little older version.

The Wiki on Mesh lags actual developements. So, lots of things are changing and the wiki may not be accurate. 

Once you have a mesh capable viewer, you need to log into the Preview Grid, ADITI. There are Mesh Sandboxes there where you can upload mesh. Search the MAP for mesh. There are 3 types of mesh servers running. See the article for more details. Which one you try to upload to will make a difference.

Also, the Kirsten S21(7) RC3 viewer will upload mesh. ...it may not after the coming data format change.

Look through the Mesh section of this forum for more information. There are some infomrative threads here. You can search and find threads about AutoCAD and Mesh.

The Collada format SL is using for mesh is popular open source format. Various programs support differently. Blender 2.49b does a good job and the 2.57 seems to do [retty well but has problems. Sketch up seems to work but with some issues. You may find ACAD has some problems. If so convert to another program and try their Collada export.

Good luck.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.