Uploaded mesh became thicker

OREKIE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a mesh using Autodesk Maya 2013 and when I uploaded it to Second Life, it became so thick and small (the small issue is fine for me as you can rescale it). Then when I checked back my maya scene, the settings are in metre. I changed it back to centimetre and save it as another dae file and upload it again but the problem still persist. Any solution for this issue? :/

I'm still a basic user of Maya and in 3D world. Any explaination would be much of help.

I don't use Maya but a typical problem folks have is trying to upload a LINKSET (separate mesh pieces) with some of the parts being too small for SL.  When they do that SL resizes those parts to the smallest dimension possible.   .01 I think.   Hence the small pieces get larger.

So to fix that you can link (join - merge - whatever Maya calls it) the pieces. If your item is going to be very small (doesn't sound like it and a picture is also good here on the forums) then you can join some invisible geometry (usually a cube that you give a different material to and then turn to transparent in world.

That may help some. Again a photo will help others know what your issue might be. Good luck.

I see. I kind of get it now. Yes it's a linkset and I think when I merged the meshes it doesn't do it properly as it should be. When I checked again my maya file the linkset doesn't really merge together to become one piece. 

Here is the screenshot of my mesh

Screenshot 2015-04-14 07.19.47.png

This is what it looks like when uploaded to second life

Screenshot 2015-04-14 07.23.57.png

In scale with my avatar (just to see how small it is)

Screenshot 2015-04-14 07.24.04.png

Can you explain more about the invisible geometry. It sounds interesting :matte-motes-big-grin:

OREKIE wrote:

How do I select the polygons in the viewer?

Not sure if this is what you mean, but in 3ds max the separate materials within one object turn into submaterials in a multi/sub material which turn into seperate faces in SL. Do you mean how to select those in SL?

If that's the case, you can select that option in the edit menu then click a face on the object, you can then apply the texture through the edit menu. Alternatively you can drag the texture you want to apply to a certain face from inventory onto your object (on the desired face of course).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.