Ugly Mesh Blob of Phenominally Dumb Sides

JasonClandestino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ugly Mesh Blob of Phenominally Dumb Sides.

I can not actually even mention the few utilizations of appropriate mesh implementation, not actually, of a context the imbicils that insist that sculpts not be used, not actually.

It's consequence of a few individuals of a community that has nearly totally killed itself of context outrageous region costs, total lack of loyalty to the residents & content builders (whom merely get a portion of their sales reported when their content gets put to the marketplace, while LL attempts to not report content sales if potential, not at all, & merely reports a fraction of content if sales actually are considerably high).

The few individual residents that remain in the SecondLife community are so desperate to suggest a dignity that they would rather kill the total network with sloppy poly mesh blobs that require $3000 machines with 3 video cards to access the SecondLife Grid.

They are so intimidated of talented creators that they would rather kill their own system.

(The suggestion is an allegorical context to the various antagonists. The context seems to lack a cease of irony.)

"Ugly Mesh Blob of Phenominally Dumb Sides" is a pretty funny title for a thread comparing the efficiency of mesh to that of sculpted prims considering that the majority of sculpted prims created were ugly blobs and when it comes to "phenominally dumb sides" what could be dumber than being limited to one single face with a UV map that can't even be adjusted to make efficient use of  texture space?

Sculpted prims do still have their uses in SL but they're quite limited in comparison to mesh, and to try and claim that sculpted prims are in some way more efficient than mesh is just plain silly, and is an argument that has long since been disproved. For example here's a screenshot I posted way back in 2012 (original post here).

the above object is 1060 triangles (slightly more than half the number of triangles in a single sculpted prim) and amounts to a land impact of 0.5 LI when scaled to between 2-3 meters in length.  You couldn't even begin to create something like this from a single sculpted prim, and it certainly wouldn't be 0.5 LI at any size!

JasonClandestino wrote:

They are so intimidated of talented creators that they would rather kill their own system.

The most talented creators, in my opinion, tend to be those that are willing to expand their skillset and learn new technologies and techniques in order to get the best possible results and push the boundaries of their creativity.

JasonClandestino wrote:

require $3000 machines with 3 video cards to access the SecondLife Grid.

Really, three video cards would perform less ably than one.

SL after a decade and a half is still rather CPU bound, so you will get far more performance from a decently fast CPU, say a 4GHz model. Then just whack in a single $300 video card like the GTX1060 or GTX1070.

Unless of course you intend to play other games too, then you may get use from SLI or crossfire to warrant that expenditure.

Fluffy Sharkfin wrote:

The most talented creators, in my opinion, tend to be those that are willing to expand their skillset and learn new technologies and techniques in order to get the best possible results and push the boundaries of their creativity.

More or less but would add using their creativity to push them to learn new skills. Without shedding what has been learned in the past. Even when pretending to throw it away. I don't hold with the doctrine of unlearning. Its a waste.

And yes I am a heretic I mix prim, sculpyt, meshy, scripting, very basic texturing and swearing. 5 of the 6 I have had to learn. Only one was i born with. And if my box is hiding the ability to be worth that much or have 3 video wossnames..... I want its offspring. In an original prankster sense.

mikka Luik wrote:

More or less but would add using their creativity to push them to learn new skills. Without shedding what has been learned in the past. Even when pretending to throw it away. I don't hold with the doctrine of unlearning. Its a waste.

Agreed. It's easy, when learning new skills, to fall into the trap of discarding old tools and techniques in favour of the latest "awesome new thing"  and concentrating too much on finding new ways of doing things even when the old ways are far more efficient and practical.  As with most creative endeavours, creating good content isn't about finding the best tool and using it for absolutely everything (or even learning how to use all the tools for that matter, although that can certainly help), you also need to be aware of the pros and cons of using each particular tool or technique and be able to select the right one for each step of the creative process in order to achieve your desired result without compromising efficiency or visual quality.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.