Store owner selling other companies work?

HopelessEmotion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are RL laws that govern this type of thing.  You report it to the person or company that holds they Copyright to the item or image.  They are the only ones that can file a DMCA notice with LL and have them removed and sue for damages.

Note that not everything you see may be a violation of IP rights as the merchant might hold a license from the IP rights holder that allows them to sell in SL.

Some companies don't care either as they view it as free advertising and publicity.

For example: Coke gave blanket permission to all SL residents to sell Coke branded products years ago.

HopelessEmotion wrote:

I was once told that this was illegal to do in Second Life, I am pretty new to this game, and I couldn't find the right person or group to report this to, but this is just wrong.

Linden Lab will only accept a legally filed DCMA notice from the copyright owner.

Otherwise they do not police content in SL.

https://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php

Commercial games are an example of a legitimate license to use intellectual property from movies. Some idjits steal data from those games and upload that for sale. If the ones you found are from games, contact whoever made the game so they can ask LL to remove the items. From what I've heard, they're more likely to act.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.