So I created a 3D character from scratch. Now what?!

britnibritt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry I am a complete noob but I was wondering what to do after I created a 3d character from scratch (3D program).

I am a 3D artist so I don't need help with any of the art side, I'm just trying to understand SL in general I guess. I've seen a lot of the how-to's but I still don't understand what they're talking about.

I understand after I model the character I have to rig it and paint weights if necessary? Then what? You need a special SL to upload meshes? What about the physic animations? Are they lost? Feel free to explain or give me more detailed how-to links. I haven't seen any simple enough to explain the process.

Thanks in advance!

First of all it would be very helpful if you could post what kind of software you are using.

britnibritt wrote:

I've seen a lot of the how-to's but I still don't understand what they're talking about.

What don't you understand before we all repeat exactly what you don't understand?

You need a special SL to upload meshes?

As far as I know you can upload in any viewer. You need to export your model as DAE file, then in SL you can upload a "model" in the "build" menu. This will open the import screen.

What about the physic animations? Are they lost?

If you rig to the skeleton bones, the physics will be lost. If you rig to the collision bones they will remain. So you'll need an SL skeleton with those included in your 3D program.

Thank you for those tid bits. Okay here is more questions of what Im trying to figure out :)

I'm not sure why the 3D programs I'm using matter because I need understanding on what to do afterwards. But Im using Maya and Zbrush. Where can I find the collision skeleton at? This includes looking around and smiling?

The rigs I saw from SL didn't include eye locators. If I move the eye or eyelash placement how does it animate it in SL? 

Is there anything I should anything else I should be aware of? Does topology matter? Do I need different body sections? Right now I used the "Ruth" base mesh but she was split into different sections, so I merged her. I would like to do a better job on topology if possible.

Is there a special method to importing your character and having it be your new body? I have 0$ as well because I am new.

Also Slink feet?!?!? Whaaaaat is that and how do I make mine compatible? Do you guys use base meshes or just do whatever you want?

Thanks!

britnibritt wrote:

I'm not sure why the 3D programs I'm using matter because I need understanding on what to do afterwards. But Im using Maya and Zbrush. Where can I find the collision skeleton at? This includes looking around and smiling?

That's exactly why I asked. Your issues go a bit further than the "after" part, that much was clear earlier. Cathy Foil made Mayafit. I'm sure she'll visit and point you in the right direction. I use Mudbox instead of zBrush and would strongly advice only to use it for creating high poly models for normal map projection.

The rigs I saw from SL didn't include eye locators. If I move the eye or eyelash placement how does it animate it in SL?

All rigs I know have eye bones, no idea which ones you found, but without them you'll be unable to upload your avatar in the first place.

If you want to move the eyes for some obscure reason, you'll need to include the bones in the SL importer. Replacement eyes you can rig to the eye bones. (Yes that sounds silly).

Is there anything I should anything else I should be aware of? Does topology matter? Do I need different body sections? Right now I used the "Ruth" base mesh but she was split into different sections, so I merged her. I would like to do a better job on topology if possible.

Of course topology matters and it would be quite pointless to upload the ruth avatar as rigged mesh. The only reason to upload a mesh avatar would be because it is better than the standard avatar. Many creators seem to think more polygons is better, but of course you could be a bit more sensible and make an avatar that animates better or is easier to texture. You don't need different body sections, unless you want to be able to mix and match different parts. (see my comment about the Slink feet)

Is there a special method to importing your character and having it be your new body? I have 0$ as well because I am new.

All you need to do is upload and wear your avatar mesh and make a full alpha "clothing piece" to hide your default avatar.

The upload will cost some L$, but you can test for free on the beta grid (Aditi).

Also Slink feet?!?!? Whaaaaat is that and how do I make mine compatible? Do you guys use base meshes or just do whatever you want?

Slink feet are replacement feet for the default avatar, exactly the same what you want to do, but only a small part. They are lined up with the SL avatar on the UV seam of the feet if I'm not mistaken. So to make your avatar compatible with them, make your feet a seperate material you can hide or preferrably a seperate object you can detach.

For my rigged mesh doodles I use a heavily modified SL avatar. By now it's so different in topology I could and maybe should have built a new one from scratch.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.