Selecting a mesh face

Wi Firecaster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Firestorm face number count on the General page of your editor is notoriously flaky.  If you're trying to identify a face, you may want to drop a script like this into your object's root prim temporarily.....

default{    touch_start(integer num)    {        llSay(0, "Touched link #" + (string)llDetectedLinkNumber(0) + " on face " + (string)llDetectedTouchFace(0));    }}

Thanks, but i'm not trying to identify a face, I need to texture it. Either way, I can't select the face.

I ended up dropping a script in it and called the texture to a specific face that way, but there has to be an easier way.

I've had this problem before, and no doubt will again. If it's just one face that I can't grab, I can texture the whole object, then retexture the faces I CAN grab, but that's kinda clunky, and won't work when there is more than 1 unselectable face.

I can see the faces in question, they aren't hidden. There isn't anything in the way like a transparant face or anything... I juct can't select the darn thing.

When you have the object selected and in edit, change to "Select Face" from "Move" then click. You should see a parameter in the edit window called "Side" and it will start as ALL_SIDES then as you click on the object it will change to a number, that will indicate you have a side selected.

But.......

It is not obvious just where the side is unless you change it to 100 transparent, then it should only transparent the area for that face so you know how big it is. Remove the transparency and apply your texture (or find the face you are looking for.

• 1 year later...

In the way that [Ctrl]+[,]  and  [Ctrl]+[.] will cycle through child prims in a link set while ☑Edit-link  is selected in the build window,  There needs to be a similar method for Selecting-Face through the keyboard.

Using the mouse to do this in a complicated mesh full of layers and faces, is impossible in some cases.

An Example, selecting the Laces on the *kas* corset.  You may be able to -see- the laces, but no amount of clicking or camming through the surfaces, permits you to select the laces face, Even when all child links are removed from the completely.

To my knowledge there is no keyboard method on SL viewer or Firestorm, to cycle through the selected faces.  This is a feature that still needs to be added, after 10 years of waiting for it.

• Like 1

Just a note about a possible cause for your issue as it doesn't seem to be a typical one.

MANY MANY years ago there was a similar issue with prims . It took the JIRA (wasn't the JIRA system them) well over a year to figure it out.

Turned out it was the FIRMWARE on a certain modem. So that might be something you could check. I, of course HAD this issue and updating the firmware made everything work perfectly. In THAT case it was the sixth side of the prim that would never texture when trying to texture a whole prim, it had to be selected separately.  So some similarities.

Just a thought.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.