Sculptris and texture maps

Rose Patel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm still a bit of a mesh newbie and from what I have tried texture maps from Sculptis for anything beyond a mesh sphere I made in Sculptris don't seem to work for me.

I was really excited when it got the texture map to fit on my mesh sphere and now let down when trying it on a horse I made from Sculptris. Anyone know why this is? Is it too complex of an object? How can I get it to work?  Thanks!!!!

I also advise to use Sculptris in combination with Blender, I find it is easier to make UV maps for blender than sculptris, also reducing the amount of verts (In either sculptris or blender) might make your life easier. 
On another note, Making organic models will have a pain-in-the-butt UV map no matter what. I figure if you are using sculptris it must have at least some organics to it?

• Like 1

Hello there Rose, A friend of mine has been using sculptris to create a horse avatar and has succedded in doing her texture maps using the suggested blender method. The UV maps that are autogenerated by any program that uilises a clay method are generally very poor and it is a wise choice to take them into an external program and unwrap them properly with a pelt map.

I personally made an avatar for my fiancee using sculptris and ended up unwrapping it in Hedus UV Layout (UV specific program)

As has been suggested, the more you reduce your tri count the better and easier this task will be. Sculptris although marvelously brillliant is paticularly finnacky and can cause some really annoying edge loops becuase of the way it is tesselated. However if you can suceed to get around this like my friend has you will have a lovely smooth model to work with when rigging :D

• Like 1

Oh finally I'm able to respond! lol. Thanks for the helpful feedback. Basically it looks like texture vomit when applied...all kinds of not right and all over the place, not at all like it fits.

I'm really inexperienced with Blender and have just been using it to convert files from .obj to .dae. I guess I will fiddle with making a UV map in it, was just hoping for an easier route. Hedus sounds interesting I will check it out some more. Do you find it any easier than Blender for mapping?

I think Zbrush is also useful for easier mapping, of course you gotta pay $$ for that!

Any tips for the proccess of mapping in Blender?

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use Sculptris a lot to create the base organic model for what would ultimately be my mesh in SL.  I just loved Sculptris for its sheer simplicity and its ability to let the artist/creator work with a model like a RL sculptor works with clay.  That is what attracted me to Sculptris.  It also did a pretty good and simplistic way of decimating the enormous number of vertices it creates when you work and expand the model.  Its freehanded texturing was also fun.

But it was limited in that it did not have a way of of exporting the resulting model & textures to Collada. 

Lucky for me I also use Zbrush because Pixologic (owners of Zbrush) saw the huge potential of Sculptris's voxel modeling and bought Sculptris and hired the creator.  They immediately introduced GoZ to Sculptris that allowed an effective means of moving the Sculptris model into ZBrush (and other graphic software) where the model could be further refined, easily decimated, UVmapped, and exported into to Collada.

But better yet, as of Zbrush 4R2b, Pixologic went one major step further and introduced a major new feature called DYNAMESH which is basically Sculptris as an advanced function in Zbrush!!  This has been a Godsend for artistic creators like me that love making organic mesh models.  Dynamesh is Sculptris on Steroids (topological-free sculpting process).  Too many features within Dynamesh to list but neat things like merging model compenents and in a click turn them into one.  Instant re-meshing the model, exapnding polygons when needed (as opposed to stretching the hell out of what you got), polygrouping, and integration with most all of Zbrush's other features.

With DynaMesh, I have let go of Sculptris.  No need for it anymore.  But I will always look fondly of it.

But you are right as are others.... tools like Zbrush and other costs $ (and not trivial unless you are a university student where you could get the software at a discount).   But, if you want or need to model with Zero tool investment you can still use Sculptris and then learn the complexities of Blender and make things work between the two of them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.