Scale issue when uploading rigged mesh

Psistorm Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Once again I ran into some issues I can't quite sort out. Using 3dsmax, I imported the latest skeleton files as per the wiki instructions. I set display units in max to meters, and system units to 1 unit = 1cm.

This imported the rigged body mesh at the correct size in max. I then created an avatar mesh and brought that into 3dsmax. I verified that all its transforms were nulled, so its scale was at 100%, no rotation or offsets. I bound the mesh to the skeleton.

I then exported the rigged mesh as collada, attempting to use both centimeters and meters as unit conversion. The mesh itself imports fine into SL, and looks the correct size when rezed inworld. However once worn, the mesh becomes an assortment of noodles for limbs, as in, the limbs, body, etc are incredibly stick thin. The problem is, I have no idea why. I thought I followed the guides to a tee, and all the units and transforms look good.

Both the bone dummies as well as the mesh itself is at 100% scale, the mesh has no offsets I can see, and the units setup is as described. I know I fixed this problem in the past, I believe by cranking up the bone scale to 10.000%, but I wonder if there isn't another way that actually allows me to have a file for once where scaling isnt entirely broken just to get a legit result?

Once again any help is greatly appreciated

EDIT:

Apparently the problems begin much  earlier than that. Trying to import the bento skeleton, I set the system/display units according to the wiki, but no matter what I do, the model ends up absolutely tiny. And it seems that no combination of system/display units changes anything about that. So please, what is the scaling I need to use to /actually/ have a properly scaled skeleton available to me?

http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/

Units in 3D modeling can get confusing. I use Blender. But, it provides proof of the ideas.

In all the modeling and CAD programs the use of feet, meters, centimeters, and etc. are for human convinence. The program it self uses 'UNITS'... just a number. It could represent lightyears or mimimeters...

Between Blender and Second Life we consider Blender Units meters.http://blog.nalates.net/2013/07/11/blender-measurements-for-second-life/ But, I never turn on any 'units of measure'.

That I can use units units in Blender and with an import ratio of 1:1 can get the correct size objects in SL, shows what numeric values SL uses. An avatar is generally 2 units or less tall.

That you get the correct size object into SL says you get that 'units' part right. That it goes wonky when you wear it suggests the problem is in the weighting or your skeleton.

If you download the SL avatar from the wiki, import it into your modeling program, export from your program to a file for upload to SL, import to SL and check the result in ADITI... should show if you have a problem somewhere in the import/export process, which I doubt.

The result should be wearable and should pretty much work. That will leave only your weighting or skeleton as the source of the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.