Rotating Faces for Texturing

wyattriot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Howdy all! Very new to Blender and mesh, so please forgive me if this is something simple.

I created a cube using the following directions I found here on the forums:

1. Object mode: Add->Mesh->Cube
2. Edit mode: Select all, U->Unwrap (default unwrap, each face fills whole UV space) (note a).
3. Select material tab (8th button with sphere in Properties bar).
4. Click "+" on right of top box six times (six material slots appear).
5. Select each material slot in turn and ...
   5a. Click "+New" button underneath (new material name appears in slot)
   5b. Click the colour picker box under ">Diffuse" and choose a distinct colour. (note b).
        (all the faces will appear to be the first added colour at this point, note c)
6. Select each face of the cube in turn and...
   6a. Select a different material slot and click "assgn" button beneath.
      (you should have a cube with different colours on each face.
7. Export collada file.

I uploaded my newly created cube to SL and I was able to apply a texture to each side.

Unfortunately, the textures on the front, back, left and right sides showed up sideways instead of upright. I realize I could simply rotate the texture there in SL (270 degrees fixes it), but I'd rather do it correctly in Blender.

How would I go about fixing this? Any and all help isappreciated.

You can rotate the UV maps for each face - select the face, select all (A) in the UV editor, then type R90 to roatate 90 degrees etc.

It will be easier if you have an image on the cube in Blender so you can see what's going on. Simplest way to do that - switch to Blender Render (middle of top bar) if it's Cycles; Select all the faces (A); open the image in the UV editor window; Set display to Solid (button next to mode, below 3D view), and Shading to Textured Solid (Shading panel in Properties bar on right of 3D view).

Hi :)

I see Drongle has got here before me :)

You need to learn a little about UV editing. Each face of your 3D cube has been mapped to a 2D square. Watch a few videos on Youtube  on “Blender UV Unwrapping”.

The mapped faces in the UV space can be edited, moved about, scaled and rotated etc.

For your cube each face has been mapped to completely fit the UV space.

What you need to do is open up a UV/image editor window, add a texture there so that you can see how it is mapped to your cube then select a face on the cube that is not correctly mapped and rotate that face in the UV Editor.

In the Edit Mode select your Cube (all faces selected) :

1: Drag open a new window*.

2: Change this new window type to UV/Image Editor.

3: Open up the Image menu and choose “New Image”. In the dialog box give it a name (Test Grid) and change Generated Type to “Color Grid”. Hit OK and you will see the numbered color grid texture appear in the UV space.

4: Go back to the 3D editor window and change the Viewport Shading to “Texture”. You should now be able to see the test grid on your cube.

5: Deselect your cube then Select one of the faces that has the texture rotated incorrectly, go to the UV editor window and you will see this face is also selected there. Now you need to simply rotate the square  by using the shortcut  key R  followed by an angle of rotation, For example “ R 90 “ will rotate it by 90°. Typing  R 180 will rotate it 180° etc. check in the 3D Window to see if you have rotated it correctly.

Repeat for each face that needs its mapping edited.

*To drag open a new window: hover your mouse over the widget in the top right hand corner of a window, hold down the Left Mouse Button and drag it to the left. To close a window do the same but this time drag over the border of a neighbouring window. Again best is to watch videos .

It will be so much easier for you to edit your UV's if first you watch a few video tutorials

Thanks for your replies, everyone! Appreciate your help.

Aquila, I tried your directions and I ended up with only the top and the right side being filled in with the colored grid...The other sides of the cube went black.

Not sure what I did to mess it up. Tried it a few times.

I’m guessing you have accidentally created a Blank black image as well as the colour Test Grid image.

If so what you need to do is link the Colour Test grid to the other faces.

You can do that by :

1: In the 3D Editor window , in Edit mode select all the faces of the cube. (or just select the faces that are black)

2: In the UV Editor window  open the list of Images and select the colour "Test Grid" texture.

All the faces of th ecube should now be showing the colour "Test Grid" image

UV Unwrapping/Mapping and editing is not something that can be taught in a forum post like this. :)

So i again urge you to check out some video tutorial on youtube.  A good example:  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.