Rigged mesh problem - Mesh gets smaller when rotated???

twilighttalent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! So I'm working with the slink creator's kit and avastar. I've watched as many tutorials as I could possibly find on rigging with slink and avastar or just avastar alone. 

So here goes. I'm making a pair of gloves, I've gotten the data transfered, I bound them to the armature, I can move the avastar sliders and the body and the gloves move... But then I try to rotate the gloves and this happens: 

Yes I am FULLY aware that a mesh should not be weight painted all red, but no matter how I paint the weights, it distorts. Any clue why it's doing this?

Looks exactly like a weight paint issue. Not sure why you're so opposed to that idea.

Here is how it looks when the mesh is weighted 0.5/0.5 between hand and wrist:

https://gyazo.com/ad67005a95ce9389955e3fe18f3d99e3

and 

https://gyazo.com/7031b617e5fc051b22de2fe5d89a8bc9

The same effect will be if they both have 1.0/1.0, Blender will "normalize" that for you. So check if your glove is weighted to the wrist as well. Or to any other unwanted bones

I'm implying that the mesh is weighted uniformly between 2 bones, so it "collapses". While for correct behavior, the hand part of the glove should have only hand bone influencing it.

If you're still confused, I'd advice to learn Blender's native weight paint tools, and the meaning of vertex groups. Tools like Bone Heat and automated weighting provided by Avastar are  "black box" and  do not help understanding the program IMHO.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.